2005 4rt Backfire

hannon

i found like others if you dont let them warm up until the fan kicks in you will have problems with plug fouling & back fireing youve just gotta leave that throttle alone i also have found changing to the jitsie air filter & removing the flame guard has made my 4rt run much better

I've got to agree with the above statements about warming up, I had similar problems until I let it warm up, and it does take a while for that fan to cut in.

I've not tried the jitse filter yet, sr34 can you say what is noticeably different over using the stock filter and flame guard? more power? quicker to rev up?

regards

Leigh

I've got to agree with the above statements about warming up, I had similar problems until I let it warm up, and it does take a while for that fan to cut in.

I've not tried the jitse filter yet, sr34 can you say what is noticeably different over using the stock filter and flame guard? more power? quicker to rev up?

regards

Leigh

the bike just breaths better & less plug fouling more responsive compard to the standard filter & guard

many questions/statements

he cleaned his air cleaner the day before our last ride

the baffels in the muffler were removed the first week he got the bike about two years ago

the exhust doesnt leak

he does let the bike warm up which doesnt take long being that we go riding in the desert during the summer were temps start at 80 F and get up to 100 F by 10 am even at the end of the day he can rev up the motor and then it will back fire, typically what most of our group does it let the bike idle to warm up and check tire air pressure put helmet on etc

this hole thing just started maybe a month ago it just seems weired to just start backfireing after owning the bike two years and the performance hasnt changed

recently my uncles 2005 4rt started to backfire after he revs it up

he checked the plug and changed it to a new one and generaly can not find anything wrong

it otherwise runs good

Does it backfire while still trying to rev the engine or after you have closed the throttle ?

Riding in the temperatures your describing the engine may be overheating in which case the engine management will put the bike in 'limp home mode'

In other words the bike can't rev past 2000 rpm it'll run perfectly up to that point and let you ride it back to the van. Have to let the engine cool down then it will run normally again

• 4 weeks later...

Well here is the latest

we have checked every single electrical connection and cleaned them all

adjusted the valves

cleaned everything we could see and reach with a cloth

someone suggested that we hold the throttle wide open and kick it 3 times (which i guess re starts the computer)

the bike still back fires and the plug is still black running rich you can even see it running rich with black smoke coming out of the pipe

any more ideas