Bultaco: Whats What ?

malcra

it must be the snow or something, or maybe Gavin's sudden interest in 1970's Spanish trials machines, but suddenly I am in need of more Bultaco information: what model is what ? (M80, M91 whats the difference), whats good and whats bad etc ?

any primary sources of information out there ? and isn't time that Woody's braindump on things Bultaco took place ?

Hi Malc - The two best sources of Bultaco info are - Historia de la sherpa T in English & Spanish which is available at cover price to import from Spain and Don Morley's 'Spanish Trials Bikes' which will go for

post-4121-1233608736.jpg

Edited by bultaco49

it must be the snow or something, or maybe Gavin's sudden interest in 1970's Spanish trials machines, but suddenly I am in need of more Bultaco information: what model is what ? (M80, M91 whats the difference), whats good and whats bad etc ?

any primary sources of information out there ? and isn't time that Woody's braindump on things Bultaco took place ?

The m90 and so on are really an American thing over here we have it simplified into mainly cc and type, ie 340, 325 blue model and so on.

There's an easy answer to your 'Bultaco, all you need to know' question Malc. Ossas are much better - Gav should have bought one of those...

However, in simple terms

M10 - original 250cc 4 speed radial head 1965/66

M27 - next version 250cc radial head (may have been the first 5 speed, can't remember) 1967/68

M49 - 5 speed 250cc like the one I was riding last year 1968/70

M80 - Updated M49 250cc with slimline one piece tank seat unit (available as a kit on the late type 49 before Bultaco standardised it on the 80) 1971/72

M91 - updated M80 250cc with new small front hub, new arched bottom fork yoke iin alloy (previous models steel) 1972/73

M92 - as M91 but first 325cc engine

M124 - updated M91 250cc with different exhaust and rear wheel, new forks no longer tapered fit into top yoke, new shape clutch cover 1974

M125 - as M124 but 325cc

M150 - updated M124 250cc with different exhaust 1974/75

M151 - as per 150 but 325cc

M49 to M151 were essentially a continual design of the same bike. UK models from late 91/92 through to 150/151 were fitted with alloy blue/silver homerlite tanks seat units (homerlite = company that made them in Wolverhampton)

M158/159 (250/325) 1975/76 through M182/183 1976 to the M198/199 1977/78 - New model (the one that Martin Lampkin is usually associated with) with different frame, seperate tank and seat, new exhaust, rear wheel, 250 downsized to 238cc (French tax laws) engine internals and frame changes along the way.

All bikes red with silver frame up to this point (from the factory)

M198a - Now all blue in colour with seperate bashplate, new timing cover with thumb logo, reinforced swingarm with big gussetts up to shock mounts 1978/80

M199a - as 198a but 325cc

Somewhere along the line a 250 model got it's own frame design but then reverted back to a common frame for both, can't remember which model this happened on

M198b - Basically a remodelled 198a with new square section swingarm and rear frame loop cut off - white frame/mudguards, blue tank/sidepanels/yokes/forks 1981/83

M199b - as per 198b but engine overbored to 340cc with Pursang piston and fitted with 6 speed gearbox

That's it roughly in terms of major changes but numerous detail changes thoughout the model range

Edited to add some dates next to models

As per Martin's post below M27 didn't have radial head :thumbup:

Edited by Woody

M27 - next version 250cc radial head (may have been the first 5 speed, can't remember)

Woody.....Model 27 has round casings and 5 speed gearbox, but no radial head...they were only on the 4 speed model 10 :thumbup:

Martin

Edited by MartinM

Woody.....Model 27 has round casings and 5 speed gearbox, but no radial head...they were only on the 4 speed model 10 :thumbup:

Martin

Yes, you're probably right, I had a feeling I'd got that wrong, I can never remember those models properly - don't like them much which is probably why - ugly things.

OK so if I've got this right my old Bultaco was an M91. 1973, 250cc, blue/silver homerlite tank, arched bottom yoke etc. I always wondered what model I had. Pics from around 1980-1981.

Bultaco1.jpg

Bultaco2.jpg

Bultaco3.jpg

bultaco4.jpg

Bultaco5.jpg

Bultaco6.jpg

Edited by Wherry

The 198b did it have six speeds or just the 340?

The 198B had a five speed box, 199B (340) 6 speed cluster. 340 had the Frontera type bottom end apparently.

The Model 27 was fitted with what the factory called the San Antonio motor.

The Spaniards actually refer to the model type to distinguish the Sherpa development.

Big John

OK so if I've got this right my old Bultaco was an M91. 1973, 250cc, blue/silver homerlite tank, arched bottom yoke etc. I always wondered what model I had. Pics from around 1980-1981.

You know the model number was right there on the bike. In the pics you look old enough to have master basic reading skills... :thumbup:

You know the model number was right there on the bike. In the pics you look old enough to have mastered basic reading skills... :wub:

Sorry could you explain that in more simple words.............. Preferably with no numbers included!

Seriously, that was my first trials bike and I'd never even heard of Bultaco, let alone thought about frame/model numbers. It's only in the last year or so since I've got back into trials and read some of the learned posts on here that I've got to wondering what one I had back then. I thought it might have been an M80 but Woody's excellent post seems to indicate an M91 which is great. I'm not totally sure why it seemed important to identify it but I'm pleased I have. :thumbup:

Sorry could you explain that in more simple words.............. Preferably with no numbers included!

Seriously, that was my first trials bike and I'd never even heard of Bultaco, let alone thought about frame/model numbers. It's only in the last year or so since I've got back into trials and read some of the learned posts on here that I've got to wondering what one I had back then. I thought it might have been an M80 but Woody's excellent post seems to indicate an M91 which is great. I'm not totally sure why it seemed important to identify it but I'm pleased I have. :thumbup:

I was just funnin' with you. I wouldn't blame anyone for forgetting something 20 years ago when I can't remember what I was doing 20 minutes ago. :wub: