What Do You Consider The Best 80cc Bike?

spudsdad

Hard to say. The Gas Gas Seems to be unpopular at the moment, The Beta is very popular and John Lampkin has a few "tweaks" for it although the "seat" height is slightly higher than the 125 Gas Gas. You also have to change the rear wheel to get a Tubeless tyre on it. The Sherco 80 has the same frame as the 125 but the suspension is not as good. I do know of a Sherco that has had an engine transplant. It's a 125 chassis with the 80 engine in it and the rider believes it is a great improvement. The Clipic seemed a good bike but I haven't seen many of them about.

Hence the Beta is a safe bet and has improved since it came out.

Chris Stay British champion 06 say no more.

Just be aware That bike is far from "Standard".

Just be aware That bike is far from "Standard".

Just like the rider then, anyway how do you know?

Because you have listed the Non-Standard items on here previously. I believe it includes a rear Shock from a REV3. Modified Exhaust, rear wheel/rim from a GAS GAS(??), brake mods etc. Sensible mods that make the bike extremely capable and something that a new rider would not get on the standard Bike. A Standard REV80 even with a comparable rider would find your son on his bike ahead of them. I don't have a problem with that and am improving my Chris's bike to that sort of level.

It helps when the bikes are tunable and my example of the Sherco is another way to go if the young person concerned feels that is the bike they like riding and that was my reason in pointing that out.

My Apologies if I seemed obtuse but I'm posting at 3am and am suffering from getting drenched standing out at Addingham on Sunday and not being able to have a beer to stave off the sniffles :rolleyes:

Edited by Telecat

I like the Sherco's myself.

Not understanding the comment about the suspension though, for a smaller rider, I would say the suspension is better, more suited.

I would say with all of them though, that there will be things that you will want to do to tailor it more to your and your childs tastes.

Go for what you are comfortable with, and who's shortcoming's you are the most comfortable dealing with.

This is something that I can say I know something about. I didn't buy my son a Beta because I ride a Beta, I looked at them all and I was going to get him the best bike for him. First I rode a Gas Gas and was pretty disappointed. First the bike didn't feel much smaller than my Beta Rev3 so I knew it would be too big for him and it had almost no bottom end power at all, something a seven year old learning a to use a clutch would need. I have never ridden a Sherco 80, but I know it has the same frame as the full size bikes so I knew that would also be too big and heavy, also looking at the spec.'s the motor has the same stroke as the 125 just a smaller top end. When I finally tried a Beta I was very impressed. First the bike felt very cramped for me which would make it good for my son, also the suspension was way to soft for me which also meant it would be good for him. The bike also has a very tight turning radius. The motor is also very impressive, it has a lot of bottom end power and it is very forgiving for a rider just learning to use the clutch. The only thing I can say bad is some of the components are not top notch, like the steel handle bars, steel swing arm, but the bike rides so good it doesn't really matter. The bike has also been very reliable :rolleyes:

When I read all the modifications a few months ago that some have done I thought why do that? Then I realized that on that side of the pond kids have to ride 80's until there pretty old. If your kid is just moving up they won't need to do all that for quite a few years. I'm glad I can put my son on a 125 instead of having to work over a 80 :D

spudsdad Posted Today, 06:31 AM

should have added at the start of this topic that he is coming off a gas gas 125 pro down to an 80 due to his age and the acu rules.

Hmmm.......Sorry to hear that, makes me glad we won that war for our freedom a few hundred years ago :rolleyes: .............Please don't take offense, it was just a joke.

How mechanical are you?

Have any of you guys having to deal with those BS rules looked at sleeving down the GG?

I would bet a Sherco would be the closest to what he is used too. You could get the 125 then the 80 top end.

Not that I would advocate cheating but Have not seen a tear down rule or protest rule in trials (but one will be coming now that folks seem to want to use engine displacment as a discriminator) but the earlier Sherco 80's were closer to 100's.......

Of course I live in the land of Nascar where if you aint cheating, you aint trying.

If I was in your position, and had a GG and liked it and the service / support you get, I would be looking hard at sleeving porting etc. I would bet a good specialty shop could do it.

If you were here I would say Bob at B&J first if he would slip it in as his knowledge of trials motors is incredible, then I would go to someone like LA sleeve or such with just a wide range of stuff available. Send them an engine and spend a lot of time on the phone explaining what you need and what you want.

Good luck, at least you are ahead of the curve, I bet there will be some parents that show up with the 125 and find they are not allowed to let their kids compete. Now that would SUCK.

my son has rode a Beta 80 for two and a half years and its been very reliable i have done a few modifications on it fitting a front twin pot brake calliper,braided brake hose,05 sherco rear wheel, raptor footpegs renthall bars and a sherco front mudgaurd.My son is a c class rider but has been riding the b class in schoolboy and adult for about one and a half years on it and it has handled all the sections very well with no problems including some very big hill clmbs.They grip very well in the mud in most cases better than a 125. so in my opinion i consider the Beta 80 to be the best choice. :unsure:

Straight out of the box a Gas Gas txt 80 goes pretty well with no mods. My daughter loves hers.

It rather different to my 290 Sherco but it will do stuff. Finish is pretty good too.

Maybe a Beta is more powerful but the Gas Gas is pretty cool.

My son has been riding Beta 80 for 2 years now. He is now 12 and riding same sections as older avg 125 riders. The only minus is the original rear Shock. It's enough for a beginner but for more experienced I'd recommend to change it some better.

I think we'll change it to a new similar one for the next season.

I guess it's also cheapest ?