Sammy Miller Series

trickymicky

I always think it works best when the Clubman route has one exit missing out the more difficult bit and the hard route has a different exit including the difficult bit. Keep it simple just like me :unsure:

I've never ridden a trial with more then just two routes and i find that confusing at times.

I know it's not always possible but do prefer the Clubman exit here Hard route carry on idea. Much less confusing.

Never thought of that one, now that's a good idea, I'll have to try that.

We put on club trials with four routes, using diversions is almost impossible, so I use coloured arrows. This is a lot more time consuming when setting out, but it really pays off for the riders. They simply ride between the arrows of their colour and ignore all the other arrows completely. Eg Experts ride between the red arrows only. Clubmen Blue etc.

Although I must say, I consume box after box of staples using this method! But it really does work well.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how long before its 90% or 99% and the pre 65 scottish is just a two day trial for remanufactured

bikes with one old bit on so they just get in !

scorpa3 's way of setting out sections is what they use in belgium classic trials, you ride between your

colour gates, and the system works realy well, and they mark out single sections the size of double subs

over here, they seem to give themselves plenty of room to put in the four routes, sure it takes longer

but having put on trials in the past it's a great feeling when it all comes togeather, and you know you've

put on a realy good event, and from a riders point of view i will always go back to a good one.

If you look closely at Classic road racing, there is very little on any bikes that was manufactured before 1965. Most is new components made in the style of the original.

Take the Manx GP for example, who in their right mind would ride down Bray Hill on a flying lap with original wheels with original spokes made 40 years ago.

There has to be some case for new components and this might actually include completely new 'pre 1965' style bikes. Otherwise the class wears itself down to nothing.

We are almost back to British engine and a "silouette" formula then?

Dont really have a BIG problem with it as a truly "original" trials bike should surely be preserved now not thrown down a rocky stream. I mean if a truly original bike got damaged as it surely would entering a trial then the broken parts would need replacing therefore it would no longer be "original" surely?

Bikes of that era are becoming worth too much now anyway as are original twinshocks so as long as they are "in the spirit of pre65" or whatever and they look the part is it really a problem?

As i posted before the thing that makes pre65 or pre70 bikes so costly, which is having an adverse effect on entries, is the "fiddle" bits. Just allow use openly of parts eaisily available to all from breakers and maintain a period British engine, drum brakes, twin shocks etc then vive la difference.

I quite enjoy modding my old B40 as best i can. It's the expensive fiddle bits i have problems with and

We are almost back to British engine and a "silouette" formula then?

Dont really have a BIG problem with it as a truly "original" trials bike should surely be preserved now not thrown down a rocky stream. I mean if a truly original bike got damaged as it surely would entering a trial then the broken parts would need replacing therefore it would no longer be "original" surely?

Bikes of that era are becoming worth too much now anyway as are original twinshocks so as long as they are "in the spirit of pre65" or whatever and they look the part is it really a problem?

As i posted before the thing that makes pre65 or pre70 bikes so costly, which is having an adverse effect on entries, is the "fiddle" bits. Just allow use openly of parts eaisily available to all from breakers and maintain a period British engine, drum brakes, twin shocks etc then vive la difference.

I quite enjoy modding my old B40 as best i can. It's the expensive fiddle bits i have problems with and

Is the decline in Sammy Miller entries due to the riders getting old?

I.E. riders who rode pre 65 when it was 1965 or so are now too old to handle an old bike (mostly).

Similar to the rise in interest in Twinshocks/bultacos is from todays forty year olds, who have a bob or two to spend, reliving their youth.

The Stratford Club resisted repeated requests to make the Union Jack classic trial harder and still welcomed trail bikes after the championship was dropped from the Miller series.

This seems to have kept a reasonable number entries.

sam cooper, best sammy rd this year great ride round, great sections won't mention one section

in saintbury, tea break half way round, found out how much gaunty's arial worth, nearly passed out,

heard loads of old sea storys, and looking forward to next years trial, keep up the good work :unsure:

keep the trials simple and straightforward on natural sections no big rocks or drop offs suitable for BIG old bikes and fiddled littles ones.. Cragg Vale, Yorkshire Classic Club Sunday 10.30, only 5 miles from junction 21 M62, Reet at top o Pennines ( you can even see (sshh) Lancashire)

Edited by totalshell

sam cooper, best sammy rd this year great ride round, great sections won't mention one section

in saintbury, tea break half way round, found out how much gaunty's arial worth, nearly passed out,

heard loads of old sea storys, and looking forward to next years trial, keep up the good work :unsure:

Thanks for the praise, sorry about those middle two in Saintbury on the hard route, just a little bit too tight, lots of ones but no cleans, I set those out so only me to blame.

The OK Supreme LDT on 24th follows much of the Sam Cooper Union Jack route... just with a little bit more at the start and at the end to make it 60 miles. Take my word for it, the view from the top of the old scramble track on Meon Hill is superb!

There will be four at Saintbury for the OK and I promise there will be some cleans on every section this time. The lunch stop at Top Farm will be in as normal.

Totalshell if only more organisers followed your prophetic words then we would not be having this debate, or the one on another posting about a stop = 1 :unsure: .

Must admit to having a bit of a larf at a couple of the younger element who were riding as guests at a recent "Classic" event. There they were hopping, skipping and generally buggering about like a St Vitas dance sufferer only to get a FIVE. Next bloke just rode straight through the section on an old C15 for a clean. Priceless.

Some people only know how to "break dance" on a bike so the organisers lay out the trial so they can.

Sheesh funny old world innit?

Totalshell if only more organisers followed your prophetic words then we would not be having this debate, or the one on another posting about a stop = 1 :unsure: .

Must admit to having a bit of a larf at a couple of the younger element who were riding as guests at a recent "Classic" event. There they were hopping, skipping and generally buggering about like a St Vitas dance sufferer only to get a FIVE. Next bloke just rode straight through the section on an old C15 for a clean. Priceless.

Some people only know how to "break dance" on a bike so the organisers lay out the trial so they can.

Sheesh funny old world innit?

That said, I regularly get beaten by Alan Taylor and Steve Clarke on their BSA's when I am on a new Scorpa and I certainly can't bounce and hop.

scorpa3 use some of them big banks over on the right hand side as you go into saintbury

seems over the last few years all the big banks and long climbs have vanished from trials

and bin replaced by tight turn's, sam cooper being one of the only nationals to put them in,

and allow you to get your bike off the pilot jet !

scorpa3 use some of them big banks over on the right hand side as you go into saintbury

seems over the last few years all the big banks and long climbs have vanished from trials

and bin replaced by tight turn's, sam cooper being one of the only nationals to put them in,

and allow you to get your bike off the pilot jet !

I can put them in for the OK Supreme Trail bike trial on 24th September, you think those KTM enduro bikes will have enough poke to get to the top, or am I pushing my luck for this one?