Replies To Previous Acu Forum Posts

john collins

There were quite a lot of posts recently in regard the whole issue of the cancelled ACU Trials Forum , consequent article in T MX and of course suggestions for an online forum etc. I did post that I was busy with last round of UEM Enduro and then TDN and was not just ignoring the posts

Would it be possible to separate a new forum into topics? (In the same way as the current message board gets lodged under a heading when it is filed away). That way John could start the forum with the topics he and the committee feel are the most pressing (so for instance if the feeling from the guys doing the work is that there is a need to solicit input on "minders at trials" then this would be the topic heading). Anything that was not directly related to a topic could be binned in "anything else" which would be the area for John and the team to look for new topics they wish to consider when the established ones are closed out. If we don't have some discipline the forum will just grow and grow to a point where John and the team cannot handle the plethora of issues and then everyone will start the "nothing gets fixed" discussion all over again.

The guy's at the ACU have an impossible task, on this sort of "open question site" there are 40 or 50 people posting items about what they are or are not doing at headquarters but we could not get 10-15 people to the forum to make it work. If the idea is to use Trials Central to provide that opportunity to help shape the future of the sport then the contributors have got to work with John and his team, not against them.

Good points all round and the idea of a seperate Forum will work better due to posts being lost or forgotten about. I dont have any issues with the ACU I can think of, pays me tenner and gets a card with a number on with an odd looking bloke who looks like hes just robbed a bank.

It will be good to be able to see other peoples ideas and issues and they can be bounced around on here and hopefully make a difference for the better. Never really give the actual running of the sport much thought as I dont compete very often anymore ,but I am sure lots of people have lots of input and hopefully constructive ones to post.

Good luck with it guys

I personally welcome the web site based forum suggestion. It is far better than a series of cancelled meetings. I really hope this gets a go ahead from the T&E committee, even if it is just for a 'trial' period.

There was never a "series" of meetings cancelled, just this years due to lack of commitment.

This is a great idea and lets hope it provides some items for the T and E committee.

I personally welcome the web site based forum suggestion. It is far better than a series of cancelled meetings. I really hope this gets a go ahead from the T&E committee, even if it is just for a 'trial' period.

What he said :P

Personally I think delegates from clubs/centres should get off their behinds and get to the forums!

Let the clubs pay expenses, travel down Fri night, have a few beers/curry etc then attend the meetings.

Talk to other clubs etc and meet up FRI/SAT, that fires up the ammunition!

They can be very informative, you meet other trials orientated folk from around the uk and believe me you do learn something. Not always or all from the ACU but from other folk.

WE ARE the ACU, (if tha paid the

and Donald does the rest (DUCK) that is........it's nowt to do with me :P:hl:

Seriously

I said in another post a few months ago that what our favourite ubergeek has created here has changed the face of trials the a similar to what to the way TMX did 25+(?) years ago, therefore (credit to John that he has recognised this) this website and forum is the locus of trials in the UK primarily but to a certain extent globally as well.

If the ACU forum is to go ahead then perhaps, as a starter, John and the ACU could create a survey of sorts to get some kind of guide to where things stand at the moment and more importantly to get a guide to where the membership want to go, from there more detailed discussion might help the sport move forward in the way the membership and licence holder want it to. Like every organisation of it's sort, the ACU is only as strong as the people like ourselves who affiliate every year and within the UK ultimatley that is ACU though locally centres, MCUI Sacu etc.

I hope whatever happens works out and that Andy or whoever moderates it ensures that it's constructive. Our sport needs to move on not spend time slagging folk off.

Edited by Slapshot 3

I'm all for another forum, which is how shall i say "more proactive" edited to keep topic very specific and if necessary create new posts with the bits that go off topic so they can be tackled.

eg trials marking can have its own thread where it can all be discussed.

mods - obviously an impartial mod will be needed who understands the issues so they can separate out the posts which should be separated. also some sort of system of warning will be needed to; keep the posts on topic, show there is clear agenda and direction, and in the event of it degenerating preventing/stopping certain stirrers (remember the Chris_UK saga) from posting in that forum. obviously the mod process needs to be transparent so sceptic (eg heath) don't feel its an ACU praise place, while at the same time ACU people won't feel its an ACU bashing place of negativity

Personally I think delegates from clubs/centres should get off their behinds and get to the forums!

Let the clubs pay expenses, travel down Fri night, have a few beers/curry etc then attend the meetings.

Dont agree that delegates from clubs/centres should get expenses for beers and curries and a night in a hotel. Whats wrong with travelling down on the morning? Absolutely disgraceful.

i agree with bumpy, why should we be paying for them to stay in hotels, eat fancy food and get drunk, when i go to a trial and visit the burger van after i dont go upto a member of the a.c.u and ask for the money to pay for my burger! we should be trying to do everything on a budget so more money can be put towards trials in general.

Thanks for that John, i think that at the end of the day we all want the same thing, but have different views on how to get them.

Just hope you could put a short reply to my proposal in the Youth section. :P

Having both aired are views, i hope we can now put our heads together for the benifit of trials in the future.