Restoration Projects?

hop blip and a jump

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rockhopper,

From a financial point of view, I suppose we are mad. They all cost a fortune to restore but only a few command big re-sale prices. But we don't do it for the money do we?

For me, the sight of a well restored trials bike, whether it be an old Brit, Spanish twinshock or any other nationality come to that, is something I could look at for hours.

I have a small collection of bikes I have restored, but the problem is whether I dare use them for fear of damaging them. Not a bad problem really.

Sherpatensing.

Hey Singe....didn't realise you knew I had purchased that little gem from evilBay. Oddly enough, I had nearly followed your suggested restoration method to the letter and 2 weeks later....the result !

Easy when you know how! :D

Martin

post-509-1160420566.jpg

Edited by MartinM

Hey Singe....didn't realise you knew I had purchased that little gem from evilBay. Oddly enough, I had nearly followed your suggested restoration method to the letter and 2 weeks later....the result !

Easy when you know how! :P

Martin

Lovely Restoration

Vinnie :thumbup:

twinshock restoration projects are not cheap, but once you start you have this urge to go the whole hog despite the verbal hassle you get when your missus see's the visa bill and rapid withdrawls from the cash-machine

As Martin knows, my main current project is a Jumbo, when is just about to commence the reassembly phase (I am writing this up for future reference). Apart from cash heading towards Cheddar, its also involved a shot-blasting / powder coating trip to Redditch (Redditch Shotblasting and Powder Coating) who matched the metallic Pernod blue frame..... as well as shocks, levers etc.....

Jumbo Pictures

(note the homemade flywheel puller, that saved 45 quid).

My current estimate is that the project overall will come in the

Yep ive got a sherpa 199a in bits at the mo, a ratty ossa mar (runs ok) and one thats half done(A1 CONDT.) also a kt250 thats almost finished (A1 cont.) also a 1981 suzuki pe175 thats nearly done, your right about doing these bikes up so good (not to metion the cost's) that your scared to bloody ride them offroad!!!

the ones that will get to a high standard i'll proberly only use when its summer, as you know the mud and wet soon scuffs/knackers that new look! ive still got a 250 majesty and a beamish/ yam pinkie that i can use allyear round , these are also in nice condition but bloody hell thats what these bikes were designed to be used for in the first place.

For me restoring has become a way of life. When I finish one I just have to get another. I always have a least one project on the go at any one time. Many years ago I restored a 600 Panther. Near the end of the restoration I sat down one evening and started to add up all the reciepts. About half way through I stoped adding. Threw all of them in the bin and have never kept a single reciept since. If we did it for money lets be honest it just would not stack up. For me the challenge is to take the most roughest basket case bike possible and turn it into a show winner.

As for this to good to ride rubbish people keep spouting. Restore it the best you can and then get out and ride it. The second restoration is always far easier then the first.

My latest 350 Sherpa will be finished in about 2 weeks and the Frontera by Christmas. After that the green sherpa is probably in for it's bi-annual major refurbishment. I have a model 49 Sherpa (1968) and a 78 Pursang lined up so no let up on the horizon yet.

It's my 21st wedding anniversary on Monday. My secret for a long marriage. Never come out the garage! Well it seems to have worked for me.

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock

I am currently working my way through a Bultaco M91 restoration, mostly complete just cables, electrics and fuel. Then I'm starting on another M91 maybe then a 159 I have (along with trying to run a Pursang and restore a Frontera...) plus got all my spare engines to rebuild....

For me it's a cheap TL125 that I've had for 31 years.

Love the other better bikes but I have a huge soft spot

for my TL. It'll never be done but I'll keep plugging away at

it. Maybe someday I can get a nice Seeley or a RTL or a TLM

or.................................

:guinness: Boy oh Boy !!! I wish I still had my first Tl 125 !!! with what I know now it would be a real fun

bike to have !!! But I really miss the modified ossa pioneer skid plate that was on it ... And honda parts

are a little easier to find than Fantic Bits !! Is Poweroll (the stroker kit co.) still in operation ?

I miss that bike , I think I was 13 in picture .... And the tl even had the optional factory number plate with

bracket that went diag. from top to bottom triple clamp !!! I may just have to find a tl to restore!...?

post-1232-1161555153.jpg

Edited by axulsuv