Slow Computer

dougie pumpkin

My computer runs extremely slow, they seems to be loads of processes running in the back ground, i m sure they all do not need to be running, but i have no idea what i can and can't close down. is there a programme (preferably free that can be down loaded to clean my system up ? or some help from one of you Whizz Kids ( please if responding talk in plain english and not Tech speak as i will have no idea what you are talking about. ) It may not be the processes that is slowing they system down, it was just my first stab at a partial answer. any help will be much appreciated :-)

When in the 'Processes' tab, click on the 'CPU' column heading twice. This should list the processes that are using the processor the most. This might help you to 'google' on the name to see if it's a valid process or not...

get a couple of programs

Spybot, ad-aware SE personal and crapcleaner

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/

http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

install and scan this will fix most probems

with Crapcleaner you can see what services are being loaded at startup then google them and see if you need them if not you can disable them.

Also scan for Virus's

there are many tweeks can be done to help speed pc's up google is your friend and will point you in the right direction.

or you may have a hardware fault, do a scandisk to check your hard drive for bad sectors.

Let us know how you get on.

I know that a common problem with slow PCs is a damaged registry, do you think that my computer would be safe using this software available from www.download.com. I was going to try it since if it trashes everything I could allways do a system restore and if all else fails reinstall.

clicky here, link to a link, not the link isself, no worries!

I just want your opinions, since I trust you guys more than a website which has been reccomended to me by a dadgy mate.

Cheers, could be a solution for Dougie Pumpkin aswell.

Bob

I have looked at the link and read the blurb it should do what the blurb says but ccleaner will also do that blurb+. ccleaner is free thats a big plus. I have been using ccleaner in work for about a year and it can be supprising how much disk space it can free up. Talking From my experience's most pc's that were running fine then suddenly start running very slowly for no real reason i.e installed new software or hardware is 9 times out of 10 due to a HDD fault if all the above test were done and did not show anything up. Hope this helps.

I'm totally ignoring this topic as I get enough requests for IT support from my parents. :thumbup::D

I know the feeling Andy!

The problem arises when My brother, who just expects the computer to be able to do everything for him the instant he tells it to do something starts complaining that the computers crap because it's taken like a whole minute to turn on, and I get a load of abuse for not looking after the computer which he trashes by downloading viruses off the dodgy 'gaming' sites he goes on.

He also complains A LOT that the internet is slower than normal, or that the Broadband is slower than the ISDN connection we used to have. When I go to Uni this machine has only got a week or so before something will fail!

The most annoying part is that my dad seems to have employed some people to work in his office who aren't exactly experts on the computer, and they ring me up to get me to make letterheads and stuff for them, I can't understand why they don't just get them done professionally. It annoys me even more when I do them a basic one in Publisher then email it through to them and theydon't understand how publisher works so I have to make another one in Word.

And why does my dad insist on keeping the accounts for his business on floppy disks, and in file formats only compatible with a knackered old Viglen running Windows 95, a 4 gig hard diks, 32mb RAM and a corrupt registry!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got to be sorting out computer problems this weekend mostly. :P:thumbup::D:D:wub:-_-:stoned:

Bob

Edited by bob

....It annoys me even more when I do them a basic one in Publisher then email it through to them and theydon't understand how publisher works so I have to make another one in Word.

Well, all you need to do is charge

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I tried everything, seems i had spyware,adware,malware eveyf**ing ware, hijackers blah blah blah on my system , got rid of some of the problems with the things you guys suggested, but not all, think i had "cool web search" on the system as well, tried using something called CWShredder but had no joy there, in the end i had to give my computer to a work colleage who formatted the hard drive for me as i have no idea how to do it myself.

I would Just like to thank everyone for their efforts in trying to help me :guinness:

Edited by Dougie Pumpkin

• 4 weeks later...
with Crapcleaner you can see what services are being loaded at startup then google them and see if you need them if not you can disable them.

Hi, I've got ccleaner, when you're using the issues tab, i scan for issues and get a few.

Should I go ahead with fixing ALL issues? and should I back them up to the registry?

I only ask because I don't want to destroy my computer. (it the second most precious thing in my life after my beta)

cheers,

Bob

Ok, thanks,

I was just not quite sure about what I was doing, I'll trust it then.

I've had a look at whats running on startup, on my dads computer which belongs to the houses of parliament there is a huuge list of antivirus and security software, which I can't really get rid of, but on the computer which the whole family uses I was happy to find only about six, so thats staying as it is.

:D

cheers,

Bob

I've had great success cleaning up computers with these programs without formating and reloading the OS.

AdAware SE Personal Edition

Spybot Search and Destroy

HijackThis 1.99.1

You need to run the spyware programs multiple times as no one programs find them all.

Be careful with HighjackThis. Visit there forum and faq's page.

SpywareInfo

Edited by Dabnabit

• 1 month later...
get a couple of programs

Spybot, ad-aware SE personal and crapcleaner

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/

http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

install and scan this will fix most probems

Also scan for Virus's

Ive been having a few PC problems of late with slow running and been recieving alot of spam also getting message failed e-mails from people I havnt E-mailed, they are coming back to me with the correct domain but have things like XYZ in front of them.

I have been informed by people that its called spoof mail. Ive downloaded all the above and run them in each user on my PC. Can any-one else give any more advice or possibly a web-site that would explain all this adware spyware jargon.

Are all the above programs just removal tools or now I have downloaded them should they block any furthur attacks. Its all very confusing to a computer novice.

in my world without viruses (ie run Linux), all these Windows tips/tricks are handy to know, as I have my mother-in-laws 2 year old XP machine in front on me. No virus scanner or firewall etc, only a dial-up-connection, but found 180 trojans and over 1000 pieces of spyware. It's screwed and have spent a day so far just getting it to boot.

I'll use some of the tools mentioned above and let you know how I get on

Makes me think Fedora is a very good idea.....