Wheel Bearing Removal

gregkabob

Great idea Bob! The bearings in the head were quite old and the bearing guy said they where the bottom of the basket as for the quality. He said he would hook me up with some quality bearings. I told him they where for my trials bike and he got this big grin and said his dad use to ride trials and taught him how to hop the bike sideways. I've invited him out to have go at it and will pursue that when I go pick up the new bearings tomorrow.

If you want to pack the head bearings with a zerk, some people will add in PVC or similar fillers into the headstock area so that you do not need to fill the entire cavity with grease.

When you get your new wheel bearings, many folks, myself included, reccomend pulling off the lip seals and repacking with a high quality grease (what I do) or with a mixture of grease and antisieze, which some do.

You can get a high quality "waterproof" grease in a plastic toothpaste type tube from a boat repair shop. It is really handy to just be able to squirt out what you need. The particular brand I have is Evinrude I believe.

Thanks hrc1!

I just wanted to knw so I could get it all done at once rather than spend one evening taking it apart, then have to tidy up the garage again, only to have to get everything out a few nights later to do it all again.

Cheers,

Bob