Ty250 Mono. Bolt Stuck. Help!

zebedee

I have a '91 TY-250 that I am rebuilding. I have managed to separate all the moving parts on the rear suspension setup apart from one pivot. The deal is this: It is a link with a grease nipple on one end and a nut on the other. It has well and truly stuck its self in and no matter what I try I cannot free it.

Please help!

You could stick the grease nipple end in a metal working vice and use a socket set wrench and slip a long pipe over it to give you more leverage, or if this doesn't work hack saw most of the nut off, bearing in mind you will need a new nut and bolt so this is really a last resort! :guinness:

Sounds like fun!! Try mole grips to see if the stud moves after pumping some grease thru the nipple or you could drill part way thru the end you have cut off then insert a punch the same size as the drill hole and knock it out. Or cut nipple end flush to the plate and put a nut on the other end with an oversized washer and try drawing it thru.

I haven't done this on a TY so i am just guessing but i did have to cut thru a SR yam swing arm pin on both sides of a frame to remove it years ago so i can understand your problem. Sometimes heat and quench will work but it may ruin the bush apart from this i have welded a slide-hammer on and withdrawn seized bolts this way.

Have fun

Dave

could you post a pic?

possibly the far end is threaded also, the bolt is screwed into the linkage, and the nut you removed may only be a locknut. Try to unscrew the bolt.

I have several TY but all 85-86.

Barring that, try this slide hammer arrangement with what you call a 'mole grips', we call vise grips, on the end.

post-132-1161809544.jpg

Believe it or not I snapped a "good quality" set of mole grips trying to remove this bugger. I think I mat try a bit of heat on it. The bushes are well and truly knackered and will need replaced any how.

All the pics I have tried to attach on this site previously will not go on so I guess that rules that out.

Will get another shot at the bike next weekend. Will let you all know the outcome.

Thanks again.

Gottch!

Well it came off. Took great delight in butchering it with an angle grinder and a drill. I am now left with a rusty, greasy lump of metal and a swing arm needing stripped and painted.

Thanks for all your advise people of the forum, I am sure that this will not be the last that you will hear from me.