Gov 132 Is Lost.

charlie prescott

Hi guys .

Thanks for the intrest on this subject,just proves there is still a lot of knowledge on these old bikes out there . If we keep up the intrest more bikes will get looked after as they should be, and more will get restored to there former glory. Its our history we are looking after.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all. Charlie.

Edited by charlie prescott

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys.

Hi Big"J".

Thanks for putting me right again. We found it eventually then.

Did it still have the Reynolds forks fitted?

Ariel 332 EOK, is still on the DVLA site, First registration 21/09/1961. Date of liability.01/07/1979. So she could still be about.

Happy New Year

Charlie.

Edited by charlie prescott

Hi Guys.

September 61, Bo, That's what it says on the site.

I bet the bike is sat in the back of someone's shed covered in dust and Cob web's Big "j" ,DVLA Know the last owner in 1979,

We must try and find her Guys. Colour is stated as Red so may be in origanal build.

Regards Charlie.

This is what the man himself told me at least 20 years ago. GUV 132 was loaned to the Beaulieu motor museum but a few years later when he started his own collection he asked for it back. Beaulieu told him that as far as they were concerned he had donated the bike to the national motor museum and it now belonged to them. So Sammy obviuosly disappointed built a replica of his own bike for his own Museum. So there were 2 GUV 132's at that time. Twenty Years down the line there could be several more but only one person knows the original. :D

• 1 month later...

Hi, I notice there was mention of GOV 130 on this forum. I do have a rather poor quality picture of the bike with the late Phil Mellers aboard. This picture must have been about 1954, as I first met Phil in 1958, and I'm sure he was riding a 500T Norton at that time, and then he was on a BSA Gold Star Trials soon after that.

To see the picture, go to http://www.bobjohns.coastinternet.ca/ariel/philmellers.jpg

If you go to http://www.bobjohns.coastinternet.ca/ariel and scroll down the page, you'll also see a picture of a rigid-framed GOV 132 ridden by Dick Bradley, in 1954. A close look at the picture shows that the "2" on the number plate appears to be in fresher paint than the rest of the number, which indicates to me that the works Ariel bikes and their number plates were quite interchangeable.

Bob J

• 3 years later...

• 1 year later...

Hi Guy's.

I was just reading through some of the paperwork we got with some of our bikes. and have just found out that "Gov 132" was rebuilt at the same time in the same building alongside one of the Ariels we now are proud to own. They were both rebuilt by that dion of "pre 65" motorcycles , ( in fact it was him that coined the fraze) so we have him to blame. Deryk Wylde.

I must say that he did a brilliant job restoring our bike to the same specification as when it left the factory with the correct transfers etc. Thinking now, that we are some years down the line, to when people started remembering where there roots were, and showed respect to the Classic Trials machines of the past, by rebuilding them to there former Glory.

Should we now not make more of an effort in keeping these machines alive by doing the same, and returning more of the British Trials bikes of the past to there former "Glory"???? :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

Regards Charlie.

PS, did we ever find the True GOV132???

• 2 years later...

Hi Guy's

You know how history comes around !

Well I have had contact from Deryk, and have had to read this thread right through again.

I now find out I own the camshaft from GOV132, Well have now had it confirmed, It will be going into my GOV lookalike next year. Hope it does what it says on the tin?

Thanks Deryk.

Regards Charlie www.bsaotter.com :icon_salut:

Hi enthusiasts,

Sorry, Charlie, my private note to you on the history of the GOV rebuild neglected one vital piece of information.

When I did the deal to undertake the restoration the remit was simple. The machine was to look right, start and run correctly - but not be used in serious competition again.

On my own Ariel's I could safely start them by hand (I was an old-school electronics engineer) so I rebuilt the motor using one of my own cams - and I completely refurbished the magneto - so that the restored bike could also be started very easily.

Incidentally I still have small stocks of the Ariel tank transfers left - and myriads of photographs - including photographs of Ariel works riders on the GOV 130, 131 and 132 bikes - with number plates visible in trials in the 1930s so the DVLA information referred to in the thread would appear not to be totally trustworthy.

Keep the information flowing - I am always willing to help, but as a pensioner I now have to rely on a little help with contributions to my costs.

Regards,

Deryk Wylde

(a.k.a. Laird387)

Hi,

I can shed light on the query in this thread as to why Sam would sometimes ride GON 786 when his 'real' bike was GOV.

The answer came from Sam himself when I was with him in his new museum checking the details of an article I had written about him for one of the magazines, as I did before publication of every word I wrote, to be sure they were correct. I queried one of the pictures which clearly showed a different oil tank arrangement.

Sam knew instantly: "There were certain trials' he said, " and the Polish Tatra Trial was typical, where your bike had to shipped out by sea, which could take weeks. I didn't want to lose GOV for that period whilst it went out, and also coming back, so I used my 'training' bike."

I am also fairly sure the same was true of certain other trials, like the Scott maybe, where a bruising ride for both rider and bike could be the order of the day, that the heavier GON might be wheeled out.

Regards

Deryk

Hi Guy's

Hi Pro Sport.

I think this is the bike that Sam rode up until he gave up trials riding > he once won the Pre 65 Scottish on this bike? and used to ride it in the Sammy Miller Championship rounds a few years back

He had the bits to build a bike like this in his catalog at one time, before he sold the spares business .

Regards Charlie www.bsaotter.com :icon_salut:

• Like 1