Steering Tube Bearing Removal

gregkabob

Got a picture? I am picturing that it is a standard tapered roller as in most other bikes.

Good quality small size bearing seperator and a press make short work of it. You can also dremel a slot, not go all the way through, then strike the slot with a cold chisel to shatter the inner race like you would a truck rear axle bearing.

If you only do it occasionally, a good automotive machine shop can change it for you in short order.

I would reccomend the OTC brand puller on that small size bearing seperator, the cheap ones work, but on the small size the lips are so small that they will shear if you run into a tough bearing.

Alan, I'll take a pic tonight to post on the board. I did like you side on my GoldWing to remove the bottom race (it had ball bearings), cut with a dremmel and the cracked it with a chisel.

Do you have a pic of the type of puller your talking about?

Greg

Edited by gregkabob

http://www.grainger.com/industrial-supplie...ators1A807.html

Napa should have one on the shelf, Not sure if it is in the Autozone loan a tool program. I think I got my OTC (Ottawanna Tool Company) one from Carquest?

There are 2 common sizes available, you want the "small" although I do not remember how they actually class them. My big one is the harbor freight cheapie, although when I break it, I will probably spring for the extra money and buy an OTC or other quality product.

This also works real well for bottom end bearing's on the crank.

Hope that helps.