Poppy Appeal

spud

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just to thanks for all the information. Next year like this and previous years i will be wearing my poppy with pride.

I went through three this year. I always stick a fiver in for my first one, but they get so scabby I end up buying more.

Seems ironic that we use the poppy as a symbol of rememberance yet in Afghanistan it is believed that the poppy (through what it produces) is behind the funding that is killing our own troops and more.

In July 2000 the Taliban ordered a ban on all poppy cultivation within Taliban controlled areas in Afghanistan, this being enforced by the Taliban Miltia.

That's not what I've heard, this story here confirms that poppy cultivating has increased.

I think your initial argument regarding the poppy funding the terrorists fight against UK and other Forces is incorrect as the terrorists we are fighting against are themselves against the drug trade.

The theory that this war in some form keeps drugs off the streets of the UK is unfounded, but appears to give further justification for being there.

However you are right about the increase in poppy production but this has happened after the Taliban were ousted from power. When the Taliban were in power, poppy cultivation was banned and the amount of heroin from Afghanistan was minimal, production was transfered from Taliban areas to areas held by our allies, i.e. The Northern Alliance.

Edited by Cota Kid

Why we buy the Poppy?

Found this and it really brings it home why we should support our troops.

The arguement can go on and on whether we should or shoudn't be in these war zones, but these guys and girls sign on the dotted line and pledge their allegence to our country...................some don't return.

Gave me goose pimples, brave brave Heroes !!!!!!

I watched the film GIZZA5 put on here and I must admit I shed a tear. That film should have been shown on every tv channel at peak times every night last week as it does bring it home. I think the talk of white poppys is political correctness yet again. Thanks.

Yes have to agree with yo there 'BO' very sobering indeed,

It just rams it home that we have nothing to complain about at all we have no idea what hardship and suffering is how can a simple plastic and paper 'Poppy' mean so much.

As they say these days RESPECT!

Nice touch with the header Andy.

Edited by 2fargone

Gentlemen,

It makes me feel good to read all this, as the Regimental Sergeant Major of the army Foundation College Harrogate I have the pleasure of over seeing the training and discipline of 1500 Junior Soldiers (16-17) They are a joy to work with, don't let any one tell you the youth of today has gone wrong, they just need some direction with a little discipline throwen in.

I have riding for the Army for the last 12 years at the Scottish Six Day Trial, but next year will be my last as I will have completed my 22 years service to Queen and country, it has been a privalage and hounour.

The Army has had some great people sponsour the team over the years. Malcom and Rhoda have looked after us for the last 7 years and long may it continue.

One day Andy Huddleston might retire so we can get our hand on the Service trophy again. I have been lucky that I have been in the Army team twice and won the Service Trophy, it would be great to win the trophy at my last SSDT before I retire, so if anybody knows Andy's Inspector please ask him do put him on shift that week.

The shall grow not old as we that are left grow old,

Age shall not wear them, nor the years condem,

at the giong down of the sun and in the morning,

"WE WILL REMEMBER THEM"

strangely enough the afgan poppy is being grown in other place's around the world in a controlled manner by legally operated company's,so goverment's like our's can buy it from them for medicine's,we could quite easily buy it from the afgan farmer's,which would mean our troop's would'nt have to risk there live's for being there,that would be one less conflict but politic's being politic's it would put the company's growing legally out of business.

Good bless to all our troop's past and present.