Montesa Cota 330 Advice Needed

steve

Hi all,

A couple of years ago I bought a 1985 Montesa Cota 330 as a non runner. I planned to get it going and sell on for a bit of profit.

Having got the beast running I couldn't bring myself to part with it. I have now decided to do a little more work and use the bike.

Does anyone have any details as to what mods I should consider to make it more competetive and reliable?

Riding it around the drive the footpegs seem so high and the handlebars so low. Is this common with bikes of this age? - I am considering lowering the pegs but even the ground clearance seems too high compared to modern stuff.

I am missing a few parts. Namely an airbox which I can't locate at the moment so have started to fabricate one out of aluminium to get me going.

The kickstart is very worn and despite a spot of weld is still making starting such a big stroker tricky so a replacement will be needed.

The bore is std but on the max, I put some oversize rings on and gapped them down as I couldn't get a piston. I was only planning to sell also so wasn't too bothered. However now I plan to ride a rebore is needed so a piston will have to be sourced from Spain.

Here's a pic just after I bought it - who's first to spot the obvious mistake.

post-16-1163364264.jpg

Edited by steve

Interesting trailing axle set up there Steve :(

I have a contact who has a 330 Montesa, very helpful chap based in Bewdley, will PM his details over to you I'm sure he wont mind you ringing him.

Cheers

Martin

Edited by MartinM

• 4 weeks later...

Steve,

Before you start welding consider what happens to the brake pedal position, you will have to modify that too. Most are left standard... just enjoy the extra ground clearance and bend your legs a little more, you will get used to it!

Nigel.

Steve: I had a chance to buy one from Montesa West in 1985, and brand new the shifter shaft was snapped off by a test rider before I got there, and the shaft was un obtanium at that time. I would strongly encourage you to drill the shift lever in a way as to make it more fragile than the shaft. Oherwise in a minor crash into a rock or anything the shaft snaps off very easily. Good luck with your awesome twinshock bike! It so cool! Also be very very careful with the fuel tap where it is glued into the gas tank. If anyone gets to carried away with those threads as in overtightening the petcock, it with bust out with alarming ease. JL

Edited by JayLael

JL - Thanks for the advice on the gear shaft, I'll have a good look at it. As for the Petrol tap, well you are spot on. They must be fragile as mine has already been broken!! Someone has repaired it by plastic welding another piece underneath. It looks a proffesional job but I am still a little concerned about it. I guess time will tell.

Big John - I had a few little bits from Sandifords, possibly parts that are common with other models. But they don't have much else of use.

The forks made me laugh when I went to look at the bike. When I took the forks off I could see why they had been removed. The brake anchor mounting had been welded. This was also evident when I depressed the fork leg - it stuck down solid as the heat had distorted the fork leg!!! With access to only basic engineering tools I used a little trick my old Grandad had showed me years ago. I turned a hone down from wood in the lathe and with a little grinding compound eased the tight spot until the forks ran sweet.

Perhaps the owner then fitted the forks wrong deliberately to change the load direction on what is possibly a weak point? Either that or they were just idiots! I guess I just have to ride it and hope it holds on!!

My intentions are to get the bike rideable at the moment. When and If I get her running sweet I will then set about a 'cosmetic overhaul' as the funds allow it.

It is looking slightly better now and I hope to give her a blast soon.

post-16-1165604622.jpg

Looking good Steve :agree:

There was a guy riding a really nice one at the Peak Classic Trial recently at Youlgrave. Impressive performer. His bike had a front disc though. Were some fitted with discs ?

Only asking as Peak are banning discs next season if not factory fitted as std.

Good luck with your 330 it's nice to see something different in twinshocks :guinness:

In 1984 I used to ride a Cota 350. One time after refitting the front wheel I forgot to tighten the pinch bolt and the first big load on the front end, it snapped off the top part of the pinch section of the fork leg. A lesson learned is to be darn sure you tighten the pinch bolt after refitting the front wheel. Yes, it is a very nice bike. I think those are one of the best twinshock bikes ever built. JL

• 2 weeks later...

Good spot Martin, Thanks.

Don't think much to the welding. Simple solution on the back brake though, might do that myself when the time comes.

I have had a bit of look on todo trial myself but the language is a bit of problem and the translations like babblefish etc.. are even harder to understand.

• 4 months later...