gizza5

Digging through some old paperwork and came across the 1983 official programme for the SSDT.

For me it was the start of something special, not to bore you! but it was my first SSDT and I have been fortunate enough to ride a few more :P

Thought some facts from this programme might make interesting reading:

Riders of note this week some ''Blasts from the past''

2. Bernard Cordonier - he has got to have been the tallest man on a trilas bike, good for a single long dab

12. Felix Kranstover - another tall guy, now the editor of the German Trialsport magazine

14. Adrian Prato - part of the Fantic works set up

28. Bernie Schreiber - never won the SSDT!

51. John Boy - fantic works rider

102. John Reynolds - remember that helmet

148. Eddy Lejune - SSDT was not for him?

153. Gilles Burgatt - Hit a sheep I beleive and put him out of the trial

166. Mart - on a Montesa, not a Bulto

175. Danielle Galeazzi - one crazy, crazy Italian

177. Terry Michaud - on a SWM, before his successful move to Fantic

194 - Tony Gorgot - the eventual winner

217. Steve Saunders - on an Armstrong

There was many other good riders and plenty of good foreign riders, all the worlds best were there as it was seen as one of the trials to win.

Manufactures Teams:

Armstong - Steve Saunders, Mark Jackson, Nick Jeffries

S.W.M - B Schreiber, D Galeazzi, T Michaud

Italjet - S Head, P cartwright, P Berlatier

Montesa - Mart, A Gorgot, L Gallach

Bultaco - C Myres, J Reynolds, Vesty

Fantic had 4 teams, how times change led by John Boy, G Burgat and J Subira in the 'A' Team

Routes were interesting not every section listed but a few:

Monday: Out to Kinlochleven, Garbage Bin, Cameron Hill, then the long hall up Glencoe to 10 sections at Achallader (we had 2 1/2 hours delay here in the rain, triple subber bloody nightmare). Then up to the Bridge of Orchy taking in Ba House Chairlift back down Glencoe into Kinlochleven, Mamore up onto the Mamore road and the sting in the tail was Callaich. For those riders that have never ridden Caillach, nothing too hard about the sections, but one hell of a zig-zagging climb up the mountain. Please OTH do not put it ever in again :D

Tuesday: Now if you hadn't done enough road work on Monday, you now had the quick trip up to Laggan Locks, Switchback and then Achlain. Achlain were probably some of the best sections in the SSDT, great for the riders good for the spectators shame there not in any more probably too easy :D Then across Clunes Meall Choire Ghlais back into Fort Bill to tackle Town Hall Brae for the first time in the week. It was amazing how many people missed the Brae! and went straight into the finish

Wednesday: Out on the Mamore Road Callart Falls, Grey Mares Ridge, Blackwater, Pap of Glencoe, How I hated coming down to the road from the Pap, maybe that is why it is called the Pap. Then onto Kentallen renamed Lagnaha in later years.

Thursday: Road race day we turned of Kinell !!!! and went round to Camp Hill as our first section of the day, These are located for the riders at the end of the track coming down from Pipers Burn, I hated that tree root always caught most riders out! Glen uig under the deer fence to the 5 subs up Coire Dubh, still in today but more of a challenge on a twin shock! then Bellsgrove before dropping into Strontian. Aftter lunch the usual sections of Camocasi, Meall Nam Each, Kilamalieu and the final sections of the day at Rhubarb before heading back on the ferry home.

Friday: Out to Muirshearlich (Trotters Burn), quick scoot up Witches Burn across the moors to a new group Fersit !!! back to Kinlochleven doing Mamore, Sleubacich and finally Callart

Saturday: Out on the road to Cnoc a Linnhe (now used in the Pre 65), up to Pipeline across the Dam, Leiter Bo Fion, Bradileig across to Ben Nevis for 10 sections and then to Town Hall Brae and to the finish.

For me it was one of my best achievements in life to finnish my first SSDT, at times I did wonder what the hell I was doing there.

The winner as mentioned was Tony Gorgot riding a Montesa, much hype was made of Eddy Lejune thinking that as a multi world champion, he had to be favourite to pick up the trophy, something he never achieved!

The all singing and dancing 'WANG' yes I did say Wang word processers were computing the results, this was state of art for 1983!

Ellgren was the biggest trials clothes manufacturer up there. Special notice to the competitors Rule 62, competitors using excessive speed ! Didn't apply to Papa Lejune as the Highland Constabulary could not keep up with him on his moped, he wasn't wearing a helmet either!

My first year was a blast, I hope all you first timers find it the same

See you in May :hl:

Was that a newspaper programme out of TMX or was it one of the last "proper" programmes. If it was the TMX newspaper programme, I produced that and loads afterwards - hated doing them it was so difficult to make them different year after year.

Was that a newspaper programme out of TMX or was it one of the last "proper" programmes. If it was the TMX newspaper programme, I produced that and loads afterwards - hated doing them it was so difficult to make them different year after year.

No it was the 'Proper' programme all 56 pages for the bargain price of one Scottish Pound note!

Yeah, doing the paper programme took a lot of effort off the club, but it was never really the answer and was done as a means of TMX getting extra advertising revenue as much as helping out the club. The return to a proper programme had to happen and I'm glad it did.

The current efforts are good as I know how hard it is to produce such a publication.

Just thinking about the SSDT/Pre 65 as a whole, it has to be said it is a wonderful organisation at the moment in such difficult times, I only wish I was fit and able enough to ride the main trial, though the Pre 65 is still a steady enough two days without giving me much grief.

Edited by Hillary

That's a great bit of nostalgia GIZZA5, really enjoyed reading that. I just love a bit of nostalgia. Now if we could only have a Scottish twinshock 2 day event as well...

Just like to echo Hilary's thoughts too, that the whole pre65/SSDT week is a fantastic organisation and a credit to those hardworking and dedicated souls involved in it. Just to feel the atmosphere building as both events get underway is like nothing any other events seem to give.

• Like 1

AHH MEMORIES,

i was also at the 1983 SSDT, and being but a yoof, remember dribbling over Bernies brand spanking 350 SWM "Jumbo",

And Eddy's factory Honda :D

Those were the days, eh!, but whatever happened?, all the World championship contenders used to allways ride the SSDT?, not anymore, it seems.

Those were the days, eh!, but whatever happened?, all the World championship contenders used to allways ride the SSDT?, not anymore, it seems.

Clashes with the indoor rounds these days. :D

The indoor WTC ia over well before the SSDT and I don't think it clashes with an outdoor round.

I think its more of the factories fear of the top WTC riders getting hurt over the 6 days.

Was '83 not the year the noise testers, much to Papa Lejeune's panic, came close to spreading the works Honda valvegear across the carpark when they did not allow for the fact that their electronic revcounter was under-reading by 100% due to the fourstroke only producing half as many sparks? Papa's reactions saved the day but I was looking for a shrapnel-proof shelter!

The indoor WTC ia over well before the SSDT and I don't think it clashes with an outdoor round.

I think its more of the factories fear of the top WTC riders getting hurt over the 6 days.

Outdoor, I meant. :D

In recent years the SSDT has fallen just before one of the far-flung rounds too, which doesn't help, but you're right - it's the risk of injury that's the main concern.

Risk of injury to the ego more like :D soft buggers could get beat by a regular lad, now that wouldn't look good.

The easiest section from any worldround, would, be a lot harder than the most difficult SSDT section, so it cant be section difficulty, might get stuck in some mud!! or fall off riding a forest track or moor.

Just to give credit where its due Bernie Schrieber won the ssdt in 81 0r 82 on a 280 swm. Still the best trial in the world !! :D

1982 on 105 marks lost, beating Toni Gorgot on a Mont by 18 marks. Knew I had that book somewhere :hl:

Andy, glad you found the year Bernie won, as I knew that he did, just couldn't remember what year! Just for the record, he said he never really enjoyed it because of the weather, not the trial itself. I believe he rode because the SWM factory like most other's in that day, made it compulsory for there rider's to compete in it! I still see that the factories use it for a testing ground to see if there new models will hold up!