07 Beta 250 Vs 270

ka2

Hi All

I'm thinking seriously about buying a new Beta 250 or 270. I'm new to modern trials bikes (i've ridden vintage trails bikes for years) and would appreciate any input on the differences between the two models as far as performance etc. I'm 48 years old weigh 200lbs and am a decent rider.

Thanks

270 seems more powerful than the 06 depends what ya like doing most if its big climbs then go the 270 if its more rocks and river beds the 250 is fine has loads of power with it been the 250 i found that there dont spin out as often as the 270 but the hill climbs was a struggle some times with a 250

I'm not sure about the 250 struggling on hillclimbs... I'm a fat git and the last thing I need on my 06 250 is more power (although I'll concede that much of that is to do with the fact that I'm not actually a very good trials rider...)

I did used to own a 270 and it wasn't just the fact that it was more powerful than the 250, it was the way that the power was delivered. The 270 seemed to be more abrupt in its delivery which meant that on occasion, those additional 20ccs of grunt made themselves frighteningly apparent at just the wrong moment if your throttle control wasn't absolutely perfect. I've heard it said several times that the 250 is more than enough for clubmen through to intermediate level riders and the 270 is really only for experts and those who just like to hoon around and scare themselves silly. I'd agree with that :lol:

Thanks for the input. I was confused as to why Beta would offer two bikes with such a similar displacement. Its obvious that there must be something in the way the power comes on etc. My first thought was that the 250 would be plenty for an old coot like me, however without riding them side by side its hard to know. I hate to flip a coin when the darn things cost so much.

Thanks again. I'm leaning toward the 250

Just to add two pennarth to the discussion, a very good rider on the national scene (novogar round winner) has gone from 270 to 250 this year and he says it is a better bike for him, if its good enough at that level its good enough for most of us, unless you are doing the euro or world rounds this year.

i have owned both recently and i found that droping to a 250 from a 270 has improved my riding, better results and far more enjoyable. its the way the power comes in on a 270 that makes it harder to ride. i can see why better riders favour the 270 though .

Read something somewhere, probably on here, about the 250/270 Beta, 250/290 Sherco debate.

What's suggested is that the bigger capacity bikes were designed to be much sharper for the Indoor scene where instant delivery is a must. On the few occasions I rode my old mans 290 Sherco opening it up could be quite scary, the power was handlable but not the sharpness of it, vicious at times; he couldn't handle it either so got rid of it. Similarly the 270 Beta feels the same, overly sharp and fast for me, my 250 is nice and docile but she can bite back but that's only because I'm a crap rider.

Mind you there can be huge a difference between 250's, his 04 250 Beta feels quite flat in it's delivery, my 02 is quite a bit sharper, maybe he has his on pensioner settings......... :lol: and if he reads this Santa won't come again this year

Edited by Slapshot 3

Not sure about the US, but UK bikes come with a heavy flywheel weight installed and if you want your 250 to have a bit more snap, just remove the weight. Personally I think that the weight adds low-end chuggability and makes it much easier to find grip in wet and muddy conditions so I've left mine on although lots of people remove them. Might be worth bearing in mind if you do go for a 250 and find yourself wanting the engine to spin up a bit quicker for really big steps or hillclimbs?

I'm pretty sure The Atom rides a 250 too, although obviously his bike has all the TTT mods and extras!

Thanks all,

Good input. The 250 it is. Now I just need to get a price and a way to slip it by momma. I picked Beta based on reports that it was reliable and good quality. Are there any maintenance or reliability issues that you know of? All tips welcome.