Has The Practice Of Wheelie's Have A Place In Trial's.

bilco

Do you practice wheelie's  

57 members have voted

1. 1. @@@

• YES
    • NO

I believe the wheelie is very important to practice as it give's you an understanding of the power of the engine and when it come's in on the throttle.

This has helped me in trial's when you come to a section and have to give sudden power to get over something,rider's either give it to much or not enough that tell's me they don't have the feel of there throttle and the power of there engine.

Sorry, but that's a fact.

I once watched a few WR riders hopping and popping their front and back wheels in a very tight space to get into position for a snotty climb between some trees. Raga rode into the 'turning circle' on his back wheel at 0.1 mph, turned the bike, dropped the front wheel and rode up and out without any bother.

It was only a practice session and not the trial itself but it was still very impressive :wacko:

Sorry, but that's a fact.

I once watched a few WR riders hopping and popping their front and back wheels in a very tight space to get into position for a snotty climb between some trees. Raga rode into the 'turning circle' on his back wheel at 0.1 mph, turned the bike, dropped the front wheel and rode up and out without any bother.

It was only a practice session and not the trial itself but it was still very impressive :wacko:

Now even i would have loved to see THAT and i have no interest in the modern hop blip and bop technique.

So why do i find the above skillful and acceptable nay aspirational but the hop reverse hop hop hop ad infinitum not :lol:

Weird that innit :agree:

IMHO wheelies are good to practice , as they add a whole new dimension to your bike control and balance talents , and in my own case in twinshock events , the properly placed stop , wheelie , and pivot can be the differance between a clean or a 3 or 5 ! As I am no pro on a late model lightweight ,discbraked , explosive powered bike , Feet up 180's or less are often the needed skill to make some turns in time to set yourself up for the next obstacle ! And I beleive Bernie Schriber stated ,The line your back wheel follows is more important than what your front does ! I personally try to plan my ride thru a section as to what line will be the best for my back tire ,ie traction and forward motion ! the rear is the driver , you can almost always change directions whether you can steer with the front or not !!!!

Just my 2 pence...

:wacko::lol: Glenn

And as Kinnell stated , Raga does it, so it must have some merit !?

I have always enjoyed wheelies and can pretty much wheelie anything. It teaches you where the balance point is which helps in sections.

The same principal can be used at the front for 'nose wheelies' or 'endos' as we call them.

Find a nice big hill and practice the rolling endo until you can go from top to bottom entirely on the front wheel just controlling it with the front brake. Now you'll feel more comfortable faced with a really steep drop, or when riding off rocks or logs.

Does The Practice Of Wheelie's Have A Place In Trial's YES - not in a trial but the same skills and principals can be used.

Edited by steve

Done a few trials schools with Steve Saunders and he sometimes does a 'tricks' lesson if everyone bugs him enough :lol:

Sit down wheelies

Stood up wheelies

Stop, start wheelies in 1st using the back brake

Steering a wheelie

Rolling stoppies

Hopping the bike around

Hopping on the back wheel

180 flick turns

etc. etc.

When asked how important it was to learn these nifty tricks, he replied: -

"It won't make much difference to your final score but you'll look the dogs B*****ks in the car park!" :wacko:

if you can't wheelie then how can you acuralty place the front wheel for steps zaps and so on? no matter what the advanced move may be it's only throught the perfection of basic riding skills that they can be accomplished.

rob

Can you wheelie a shopping trolly? :lol:

I know someone who held a deck chair at the perfect balance point for 2-3 seconds before disappearing backwards into a bush. He resurfaced with his can of beer and declared "Didn't spill a drop!" :wacko:

I have always enjoyed wheelies and can pretty much wheelie anything.

Can you wheelie a shopping trolly? :wacko:

No worries, it's all about weight distribution. Make sure the heavy stuff like bottles of drink and cans are at the back. Build up a nice steady pace and with a sharp burst of acceleration pull back hard.

I think you need to be able to "get it up" but you don't need to be able to ride on the back wheel.

that sounds so wrong, i never new you swung that way mate.

i think it is a very big part becasue it is esencial for moor crossing etc and jumping big ditches and in the big indoor trials most of the time the guys are uni cycling it