Ty 350 Help

ka2

I have a 1985 TY 350 that needs rings and a piston ( maybe a cylinder too). Any tips, other than parting it out would be appreciated. I realize that yamaha no longer supports this bike. I'm just wondering what other creative individuals have done to keep them running.

Thanks ken

TY350 air filter was not too good, and scoring/flaking of the chromed boare could resuot if dust/sand drawn in.

TY250 had cast iron liner, could rebore and use chrome rings.

Cylinders are NLA from Yamaha.

I have heard that rings are no longer available.

Wiseco and others typically have chromed rings, for running in cast iron liners. The TY350 is chromed liner so cannot use chrome rings. That's a problem.

As I recall, piston was only available from Yam, nothing Wiseco directly. I think the DT360 piston could be machined and modified. Not sure.

I had a barrel rechromed about 5 years ago, cost about $150. I can get the company name if you \wish. I would not rechome again, due to now shortage of rings.

Bob Ginder at B&J does a cast iron liner and piston and porting package. Spendy for the value of the bike, but I have heard the porting dramatically imporves the 350, aothough will never be as responsive as the 250 just due to the limited space for transfer ports.

Then, you can can rebore and can use chrome rings.

kcj