Possible Dangers Of Unleaded Fuel.

scorpa3

The discussion on another thread got around to possible dangers of unleaded fuel when used for cleaning air filters etc.

The topic went on to consider the further danger of breathing in exhaust fumes from a machine not fitted with a catalytic converter (the device used to clean up fumes in all new(er) cars.) ie all trials bikes.

Here is a link to an article about this very subject. Whilst it doesn't mention motorcycles, effectively a trials bike is a simple single cylinder engine, as is a lawn mower or strimmer etc

Take a look and draw your own conclusions, or better still do some research on the chemicals used in unleaded fuel which are used to replace the lead..... And think of this the next time you sit in a queue for a section or are tempted to wash that chain in petrol.

Click here.

I'm skeptical of links like this. <_<

I can't find the story anywhere else on the Internet. The only thing I can find out about RD Greenaway is that he wrote a book entitled Cornish Hurling: The Popular Origins of a Magical Ritual. <_<

What he wrote may be true, but I'd like to see the information come from a verifiable source.

Here's a peer-reviewed FAQ on the subject from the good old days of Usenet. Make of it what you will:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasoline-fa...2/preamble.html

If I were you I would stop snorting the stuff and wear your rubbers when washing parts in it!

Modern petro products are no longer "gasoline" as it once was, but a blend of hydrocarbon distillates and additives, including alcohol in some places.

Bathing in it is not good, nor is sniffing the fumes, but don't get carried away! <_<

I'm skeptical of links like this. <_<

I can't find the story anywhere else on the Internet. The only thing I can find out about RD Greenaway is that he wrote a book entitled Cornish Hurling: The Popular Origins of a Magical Ritual. <_<

What he wrote may be true, but I'd like to see the information come from a verifiable source.

Here's a peer-reviewed FAQ on the subject from the good old days of Usenet. Make of it what you will:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasoline-fa...2/preamble.html

Malibudon, I'm not sure about the Cornish Hurling part of your reply but thanks for taking the time to find the link.

Here is a snippet taken from your link:

The removal of alkyl lead compounds certainly reduces the toxicity of

exhaust gas emissions when used on engines with modern engine management

systems and 3-way exhaust catalysts. If unleaded gasolines are not

accompanied by the introduction of catalysts, some other toxic emissions

may increase. Engines without catalysts will produce increased levels of

toxic carbonyls such as formaldehyde and acrolein when using oxygenated

fuels, and increased levels of toxic benzene when using highly aromatic

fuels.

There is little doubt that gasoline is full of toxic chemicals, and should

therefore be treated with respect. However the biggest danger remains the

flammability, and the relative hazards should always be kept in perspective.

The major toxic risk from gasolines comes from breathing the tailpipe,

evaporative, and refuelling emissions, rather than occasional skin contact

from spills. Breathing vapours and skin contact should always be minimised.

Whether you are sceptical or not this subject should make you think.

Edited by scorpa3

Having started in the motor trade in 1963 with 8 other pals from school the dangers of unleaded petrol is all too apparent.

We would all be in our 60's now but two of us have died of leukemia(linked to unleade fuel), four have varying degrees of Parkinsons Disease(linked to garages/unleaded fuel) and two of us who are left watching each other to see who gets what first.

Heed the advice keep away from unleaded. Don't wash your bike down or your chain with it unless you have gloves and able to avoid the fumes. This stuff is lethal. But the average person totally disregards 'Petrol'. Smoking when filling their cars etc.

Riding trials bikes and lots of clean air keeps you fit and healthy. But in my case kn****rs your knees.

so where does this leave Sheffield ?? Indoor trial , bikes getting revved frequently and we all breathe the fumes in ?

I should think and inddor trial is fairly safe. There are just 10 of so machines basically going one at a time in a very large area. Imagine an indoor supercross meeting with a dozen bikes going for lap after lap all evening. Now that's a different scenario.

I wonder if the ACU/FIM have done any research on this subject? Catalytic converters are starting to appear on road bikes recently.

Sheffield must have a set of very effective extractor fans 'cos I can remember going to an indoor bike show where they had a few demo bike for joe-public and the Crosswaite demo troupe.

The audience were nearly gassed to death and we all had stinging eyes.

It would have been funny if my mates dad didn't have heart/breathing problems to start with <_<

Arenacross definitely has an issue with toxic fumes in a confined area.

I Googled these three words together: exhaust arenacross fumes

This is the first story:

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EWS16/101100132

"What we typically do is we have inspectors on board at the event and we also send over at least one of our units that has a monitor for carbon monoxide. When the levels start to become a little bit high we stop the event temporarily and let them air it out," Chief Bell said.

Let's face it. Running high rpm internal combustion engines in an enclosed area is pretty much a bad idea. How bad is determined by the number of motors and the volume of the room.

I

A for the queing: dont you hate it when the person in front of you revs the tits out of their bike and it all goes in your face? that really annoys me <_<

And thats when you put your boot over their exhaust so it kills their bike!

Yep, I sheild the exaust away with my hand so it goes towards the rider and not me, dont cover the exaust though to kill it! Must try that sometime!lol <_<

Edited by seandellear

A fair number of riders at trials will sit through a queue of 10 riders or more with engines running till their turn to ride the section. I doubt if they realise that there is any hazard. Perhaps some advice from the ACU would be the way forward.