Chain Tensioner On Pro

toofasttim

Removing or installing the chain tensioner an spring are a 2 minute job if done correctly with no more tools than a screwdriver and a pair of pliers.

To remove first take the spring tension off the chain tensioner arm then remove the pivot screw. With the tension off the arm it should come out very easily.

To install put the assembly together with the spring on upside down,yes I said upside down! Make sure that the spring will be in the correct position when it is rolled over.

Start the pivot screw into the swingarm mount, screw it in approx. 1/2 way do not tighten it all the way yet.

Now roll the spring over making sure the spring does not lock into the tensioner arm, that is the last step, the front part of the spring will hit the swingarm at a angle, take a large flat blade screwdriver or flat bar stock and place it against the spring above the pivot bolt and hit it with your hand. The spring will pop into position with very little effort. Now tighten the pivot bolt slowly centering the spring as you go, when the bolt is tight then take pliers and install the spring on the tension arm and your done!

I have been using this method for years with no damage or loss of spring pressure. After you try it you will be surprised how easy and fast it actually is to do :wacko:

• 11 years later...

Okay Spinner. We need you to elaborate. :shutup: "Upside down"? - Upside down on a horizontal plane I assume? Or do you mean rotated back to front?
How can it be possible to rotate the spring 180 degrees back once you have engaged the bolt through into the S/Amount - impossible, (maybe it's a syntax/description issue).

Three lads here have just battled for about an hour and a half, we finally got it done but. And we're no newbies. I've done a hundred tensioners, and I know they can be nasties, but this one on our GG 280TXT Pro is a doozie!

How do you mean upside down? Any chance of a diagram or picture?