Boyesen Dual Stage Reeds

the addict

Here in the US of A, we have access to Boyesons and V-Force reeds.

I have an 05 Rev3 270, which came with the V-force installed. Of course I pulled it out to see if it was really better and put the stocker back in.

Result: to put it mildly...I hated the stocker! I then tried some Boesons I had lieiing arond, which produced a mild difference.

The moral of the story is that the V-Force is the way to go...period!

If you'd like a set...pm me.

I don't know what shipping and exchange will be...but I'll try to help you out. Even better: try to get a group buy together!

Edited by the mayor

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beg to differ, old chap. I tried the vee force on my beta and it flattened the power like it was restricted. However this was a 250. So off they came. I've tried various reeds over the years - Active, J.Clerch, Boyesen etc. And all except the Boyesen appear too stiff. Maybe these stiffer reeds only work on the bigger motors of engines with higher compression - anyone confirm?

Btw - used Boyesens on my Pampera 280 for years ( best for smooth torque) & just added a set to the new toy - a 175 Gas Gas.

Beg to differ, old chap. I tried the vee force on my beta and it flattened the power like it was restricted. However this was a 250. So off they came. I've tried various reeds over the years - Active, J.Clerch, Boyesen etc. And all except the Boyesen appear too stiff. Maybe these stiffer reeds only work on the bigger motors of engines with higher compression - anyone confirm?

Btw - used Boyesens on my Pampera 280 for years ( best for smooth torque) & just added a set to the new toy - a 175 Gas Gas.

I have the V-Force 3 reeds in my current 250 and they are great. which model did you use? 1, 2 or 3? I too have had Boyesens in other bike (not trials) and have been very impressed with them.

Mayor, I am only stating what difference the Boyesens have made to my Rev3. I guarantee you the difference is quite dramatic and nothing like mild at all, why would I tell porkies? The low down throttle response is exceptional and the throttle for the first time in 9 months is now smooth all the way through. I have nt tried the V Force reeds yet and dont intend too due to their cost over the Boyesens, the bike is now at last how I like it.

These are the results for my bike, may not work as well on others, Betas seem to have the biggest difference between each bike I have ever ridden. Not 100% sure if your a dealer for V Force reeds but it looks like it from your post a little? if not though thanks for the offer on here to members for shipping to the UK :rotfl:

• 1 month later...

I've just stuck some Boyesen reeds in my 2006 250 Rev3, along with the drilling mod and the float height mod on R2W site and I can't believe the difference it's made to the bike. So much so that my mate has had me order a set for his 270. The only downfall I can see is that the revs fall when going downhill, so I have to blip the throttle every now and again to stop the bike stalling. I'm still running with the standard jets, don't know if changing the pilot jet would make a difference. I run the bike on 70ml Castrol TTS in 5l of super unleaded with a platinum plug and standard air filter. :rolleyes:

GW, aint they just the B*****ks :rolleyes: I was only saying to Dad today how the bike has so much grunt,grip and nearly impossible to stall at really low revs. Not sure why yours is dropping revs downhill? I,ve got the float extension bowl on mine, might be abit of fuel starvation whilst pointing downhill but only guessing

BetaRev3, can't believe the difference they have made. Like you said, more grunt, pulls away from nothing and feels to be so much more torque. Doing a steep stony climb yesterday with the throttle almost closed, couldn't believe it.

Been considering buying the Boysen's for a little while for my 07 250 and although not a complete numptie on the spanners, how easy were they fit and are there any diagrames posted anywhere re fitting them? (how long did it take)?

Tone

Tone, about twenty mins start to finish mate. Get the carb off, unscrew the block, easier with ball type allen keys though with T handles. The clutch cable will be in the way of one of the bolts and the block wont come off easy with the cable in its place. I am pretty sure i took the whole fuel pipe off the tap and pushed the cable behind the tap to hold it away whilst the block came out. Once the block is out make sure the gasket is in good nick and clean the cheap ***** Beta seal it in with giving the inlet tract a good clean up as well.

When you unscrew the existing reeds form the block make sure you have a perfect fit screwdriver for the job, they are very small and will round easily if you use a wrong size. Once off stick the Boyesens in as per their fitting directions, make sure the screws are tight and have loctite on the threads, one of those buggers comes undone and gets in the case its gonna be costly. Reassemble the block using a good gasket sealant and jobs done, mine did nt require any rejetting after fitting, bike just got 100 times better

Thanks,

My bike never seems to run the same two days running, when I think I have just about got it right the next time out it feels horrible but as I said no two days are the same so hopefully fitting the Boysens might help.

I am currently running the standard jets

R2W Carb Mod with extension

Jitsi filter

NGK BP5ES plug

Removed FlyWheel weight

Quick Action Throttle

Have you ever had to repack your exhaust and does it make any difference?

Tone

Edited by Tone

Tone, sounds like you have a bike like mine used to be. I have the following on the bike

27.5 pilot jet

145 main jet

carb mod

float extension bowl

Boyesen reeds

BPR5ES plug

70 mils TTS in 5 litres of V Force or 50/50 Avgas

Quick action throttle (Is there another type?)

Flywheel weight(In the local tip)

Yes regular repacking does make a big difference, its easy to do and cheap and well worth it, used to use the sheet stuff but found the loose better, takes a couple of goes to get it right though. Needs to be packed well in but not mega tight, if too loose it wont make any difference. I also silicone all the joints on the header,mid box,muffler for a better seal. I notice mine occasionally running a bit different and it seems to be down to not cleaning the carb, runs ok but not perfect so the carb gets cleaned every ride out or nearly. The Boyesens and cleaning out the inlet tract have made the major difference to the bikes running, nothing else, give them a try. Motormerlin sell them on Ebay

Edited by Betarev3

• 2 weeks later...

Boysens only arrived on Saturday so did not get chance to fit them before riding a trial toda. However did manage to swap the Jets over to the 27.5 pilot 145 main as recomended 'wow' what a difference, so much cleaner and smoother of the bottom end.

Thanks to every one for the advice.

Tone