Loose Disc?

ktmsprocket

Hi,

I have recently bought a used Sherco 2.9 '03 model in good condition.

With the engine off and bike stationary and the front brake on, I noticed 'play' in the front. After checcking the front end out I realised that the play is due to the fact that the front disc rotor is 'loose' on the hub. All bolts are tight and everything appears as it should. It seems a simple case that the holes in the disc through which the bolt and washer arranegment fit are simply too big.

Thus when the brake is on, the disc is able to move a few millimeters back and forth.

I am only used to bikes where the discs are solidly fixed to the hub....so is this normal or is it a case of the incorrect disc rotor being fitted???

Cheers...J

Soo true! But even on a new one there is variation that must be compensated for in order to work smoothly, thus the floating setup.

The excess clearances on the past models was never really an issue, and if you think about it, it still allows things to move even when packed with dirt and mud!

So there you go!

They will actually rattle when you rev it ! :rotfl:

Heck I will throw my hat in the ring here as to why the disc floats.

One, it helps get maximum braking force as your pads to disc will tend to center themselves taking care of small misalignments.

Also, with the floating discs, they tend not to push the pucks back so much when you get those large flexing movements in the forks. When they first started coming out with the front discs, and some had the fixed discs, as you dropped off something, (especially turning) and the disc / fork / wheel would flex, it would push the pucks back into the caliper, then next time you went to grab a handful of brake, you got nada, nothing, zilch..... because the amount of throw or displacement you had, was ate up trying to get the pucks back to the disc.

It still happens in extreme cases, but for the most part, the small amount of play in that disc keeps it from being so noticable.

If there is no play in the disc,it could break when the forks compress.

So, in theory, if Al can fully compress the piston into the caliper, the next thing to go would be the disk!

Seems I recall a pic of Barry trying that on a newer model, and the disk did not break, so it must work! Wheel looked kinda bad though!

Al, you are telling your age again! Ha!

Hi,

I have recently bought a used Sherco 2.9 '03 model in good condition.

With the engine off and bike stationary and the front brake on, I noticed 'play' in the front. After checcking the front end out I realised that the play is due to the fact that the front disc rotor is 'loose' on the hub. All bolts are tight and everything appears as it should. It seems a simple case that the holes in the disc through which the bolt and washer arranegment fit are simply too big.

Thus when the brake is on, the disc is able to move a few millimeters back and forth.

I am only used to bikes where the discs are solidly fixed to the hub....so is this normal or is it a case of the incorrect disc rotor being fitted???

Cheers...J

HI

I HATE THE RATTLE OF THE FRONT BRAKE DISC

I SILICON AROUND THE CUPS

I THEY STILL FLOAT UNDER PRESSURE

BUT DON

I like the idea of the silicon implants...much less wobble... :D

PS. Alan...Tom is still having a ball on the Sherco 50 Kid. I can without question say that the time he spends on the little Sherco is directly proportional to his Enduro and MX podiums. NO DOUBT AT ALL !!!!