I Could Have Bought A Nearly New Bike!

flossieawol

Yes, same here. Bought a cheap road bike without looking at it first. What a dunce... never again. :rotfl:

I've had some buys off ebay, but you MUST look first to be sure. Once you've seen the item, then buying off ebay is no worse than buying from a classified ad. But you might 'just possibly' get a bargain.

If not, would looking at it first have made much difference?

lol.Can't believe you just said that cg125.

A blind man would have noticed the bike was'nt worth the money that was paid.

All the thing's wrong with that bike you could feel or hear, it was knackered.

sound's like E BAY have taken over the asylum.

Edited by bilco

I kind of went into it with my eyes shut to be honest, shiney paint and new plastics etc,

It ran o.k and was pretty quiet- the clutch dragged from cold and the vendor assured me this was a typical beta,

I didn't check the suspension for play etc, just checked it rode and was no rattles from engine etc,

first thing I noticed was it needed wheel bearings, so changed them,

Then went for a ride on the fells, getting home forks were weeping with been compressed on the trailer, changed the seals and oil, two weeks later same again, took them down to my local trials shop- full rebuild needed.

While the forks were off I thought I'd re-grease the headstock bearings- took them out and they had been tighted that tight they were square!

thought by then I hadn't got such a good deal on the bike after all so checked everything else.

Been able to pick the back end of the bike up by 2 1/2 inches and the wheel stay on the ground wasn't good either while it was in bits I rebuilt everything else.

and so on and so on etc.

Yep learn't the hard way with this one, and its opened my eyes well and truly!

Got to look on the positive side though........................... THERE ISN'T MUCH LEFT TO BREAK!!!

REGARDS

In other words, Ebay didn't really come into it. You would have made the same mistake if you'd simply seen it for sale in an ad. You had a look, tried it out and still bought it. Lesson learnt. We all make mistakes, as I said I've done the same thing. At least you've got it right in the end.

lol.Can't believe you just said that cg125.

A blind man would have noticed the bike was'nt worth the money that was paid.

Just checking :D

Ideally all of us clueless newbies would have experienced mates who could look a bike over for us before we buy it. In the real world though, most of us just have to take a punt and hope it works out.

Sounds like Flossie was unlucky and got an expensive lesson about what to look look out for when you buy a used bike. Hope this year is better!

Once again though, it's nothing to do with Ebay, and nothing to do with looking at a bike before you buy it -- if you don't know what you're looking at it doesn't make much difference . . .

FlossieAwol, sorry to hear ur woes!! I'm goin thru a similar episode with my 1999 techno, which I also bought off Ebay. Have had loads of problems with the carb, new head bearings , etc etc , and still speanding cash! Not good. learnt my lesson, but the bike is now running ok so quite enjoying learning the Sport.

All the best and enjoy .

NeillyDoc

:hyper: