Off-road Vehicles (registration) Bill

drop5

According to my dad, this isn't as such government policy, just a group of back benchers trying to make a difference to a problem they really don't know much about. He reckons it is unlikely to make it through to Law, for most of the points you lot have stated above, although it has got through the first stages.

That doesn't mean to say that the government won't be triggered to do something else silly because of this :banana2: .

Bob

Remember the gun laws introduced a few years back?

Organised clubs and licenced gun users had to hand in their (certain types of) weapons for disposal.

Did this do anything to stop gun crime or did it just legislate against the already law abiding?

I think you will find that the Dunblane tragedy brought about the changes in the gun law perhaps you should go on that forum and ask what they think.

Weren't the gun laws changed after a judicial review?

I don't recall a judicial review but the fundamental point is that a standard hysterical reaction to a problem is to "ban it", and see the true problem continue and the legitimate law abiding folk get penalised. it was part of great populist bandwagon the that new labour rode into office with - leaving our Olympic shooting team to have to train outside the counutry....

<rant>

to win elections in the UK you propose new legisaltion - this has no bearing on the fact existing legislation exists to cover the problem, nor the fact red tape is strangling business and restricting peopl's civili liberties

don't you just love the nanny states

no one wins by saying we just need to get more bobbies out there on the beat ....

</rant>

Name me one proposed legislation that won any election, ever?

Red tape is definitely not strangling business this is repeated tabloid hype, the economy is at its strongest for a long time, ever?

its not a specific election, although if you want we could discus each election in turn and argue weather it was considered a specific referendum on that piece of legislation - constitutional theory say you should hold a general election of divisive constitutional non manifesto issues (the election of 1910 springs to mind)

fundamentally i highlight the fact that each MP needs to persuade their constituent, each party its supports, etc that they are doing concrete action, and proposing private members bills, early day motions, etc are prime ways of doing this in the UK. the system fundamentally encourages bad legislation. this is because the media cycle encourages this, and the lesson the politicians have learnt from this is that they need to create positive media message each day to keep the news cycle on their side (and conversely they "bury bad news" when something else is on the headlines or "take out the trash" on friday night at once to flood the news shows and less read papers on Saturday)

there are a variety of statics demonstrating how competitiveness has decreased (uk vs other nations) since 1997, and while the government does have a red tape task force

What about something radical come up with a few of your own thoughts?

If you don't like the country go somewhere else become a politician but stop the whinging.

very good point, it very easy to criticise and not offer your own alternative polices in place

for my sins i am somewhat involved in politics but don't consider myself a) crazy enough and :banana2: politicised to one specific political party - to get involved

my own thoughts are thus :-

use the existing legislation to tackle the problem. the are plenty of laws that can address the problem. there is perhaps scope for tidying up existing legislation, but this problem should be farmed out to the lords, or the law society rather than some backbenchers with an agenda and political points to be gained.

beyond law enforcement the current work to update government planning regulations, mandating councils to statutory provide for off road motorsport in their locals plans like they have to for football, athletics, swimming, etc is necessary.

investigate is there scope within EU law to find a way of under trading standards of restricting minibike sales - IMHO its their low price and ease of sale that has seen the current epidemic created, however there is scope for legitimate use probably resulting in this being a dead end (if not illegal anyway under EU law)