Openfree Trials

scottt

As a novice I think this is a wonderfull idea, seems to cater for everyone from raw novices to keen hoppers.

Do you think any club in the UK might give it a go?

The scoring seems a bit strange, perhaps that might have to be changed,

Whats everyones opinion on it? I think its great and would happily enter if we had them here.

Scott.

If your sat there thinking "what is he on about" read this months YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE.

Sorry Andy if i've posted this off the official TM thread but this has to be worth a thread on its own.

I had to read the article twice to understand it, but being a novice myself i think it might offer something a bit different. it looks like a good concept but putting into practise might give you a headache for the first few times.

looking forward to it .... if it happens...................

I think it will be a realy good thing, for the riders that is! It sounds like an observers nightmare! I realy like the concept of chosing the zone that you want to do though and i will be riding in an open free event in july :D I like the idea that if there is a bit you don't wanna do, don't :thumbup: That way if you feel confident on the step but not on the steep rooty hill climb you can chose. But for the observer/s trying to work out how many marks to give.... Ouch is the word!

From my understanding the marking system goes:

3 routes in the trial (3 coloured cards/flags mark each route) Green cards are worth 2 marks; Blue cards are worth 5 marks; Red cards are worth 10 marks. If you clean the section (no footing) add 15marks. If you dab once add 7 marks, If you dab twice 4 marks added, three dabs 0 marks added. All three (Red, Blue, Green) would be numbered so you can't ride through a gate twice. Dislodged a mark and its 5 marks off, stall the bike 5 marks off etc...

Example: A Rider passes through three green cards (gates) and two Blue cards (gates) and goes clean (no footing) score= 31

What this gives you is no complaints about how hard a section is because if a rider does not want to ride a Blue or Red cards (gate) he/she can ride through the easily Green or Blue card (gate), but then they would earn less marks. The clever bit is if your looking to earn marks on clean rides missing out gates in the sections....

...this is brilliant way of marking because when i ride sometimes i find if an obstacle or climb is too big i five the section, but if this marking system was used then i could ride some of the harder parts of a section and at the really hard stuff (beyond my abilities) i could ride through an easier route to miss the bit i can't ride and thereby not fail the section.

Edited by spud

Ok here goes:

A section is a random set of gates all leading to the end cards, its up to you which route you choose, it gives each rider the choice of which parts of each section he wants to attempt.

3 different gates, 2pts(green) 5 pts(blue) and 10pts(red). In a picture with the article it shows a large rock, the 2pt gates are to one side being the easy (or novice route) the 5pt gates are the other side (cant see in the pic what the obsticle is but its going to be a bit harder than the 2pt gates) and if you go over the rock thats the 10pt gate.

The idea is the rider with the most points wins.

The points is a bit confusing as you get 2 5 or 10 for each gate you pass, 15 for a clean, 7 for a dab, 4 for 2 dabs and zero points for 3 or more dabs.

The sections are marked out with tape either side, go out the tape and its a failed section, all points are lost for exceeding 1 min, falling off,a stationary dab, crossing your own tracks or going outside the section limit.

The thinking is that its great for a novice as they can ride the green cards only, but if they feel confident they can try a blue gate at any time in any section to pick up a few more points, the experts will ride the red normally and everyone else will pic a mixture.

As a novice it does appeal, a nice fairly easy trial but i've got the option to try a bit harder section when i want, if i look at a section for say experts with 3 big steps i just might be able to manage 1 but not do all 3, in this type of trial i could try just the one then continue with the green cards.

One thing that does make it a bit easier for observers is that all they are looking for is a dab, not trying to work it out if someone has stopped or gone backwards etc just dabs, but trying to work out the points is for now a bit of a headache.

Scott.