00 Rev3 250 Help Please

tinez

Hi ! im a complete novice when it comes to anything with an engine. could somebody please tell me a step by step guide to cleaning the air filter ? it hasnt been done since i bought the bike in august last year. it has only been ridden 5 times max and i only potter around while my friend races moto-x, nothing major at all. I am a fully qualified cycle mechanic but have no idea about my baby beta ?

Hi ! im a complete novice when it comes to anything with an engine. could somebody please tell me a step by step guide to cleaning the air filter ? it hasnt been done since i bought the bike in august last year. it has only been ridden 5 times max and i only potter around while my friend races moto-x, nothing major at all. I am a fully qualified cycle mechanic but have no idea about my baby beta ?

I take it you know where the air filter is ? Basically take it out i put loads of washing up liquid in/on it and wash it really well with a little luke warm water then rinse it out with luke warm water (If the water is hot it may shrink the filter) once you are happy that it is nice and clean let it dry out naturally. then get some air filter oil/spray and apply, I do this in a plastic bag and massage it in well. I do this everytime i have been out on the bike. Hope this helps a little. :D

On the 2000 bike I don't think there is a flap in the back mudguard to make it easier to get at the air filter, so what you'll need to do is (preferably when the bike is reasonably clean);

1. Take the rear mudguard off by undoing the screws holding it on.

2. Undo Wipe any muck off from around the filter, and pick any silicone off the airbox or mudguard.

3. Undo the two screws which hold the plastic frame over the top of the filter, then the filter should just pull out the to of the airbox.

4. Take a look inside your airbox, if it is mucky inside then it might be an idea take that off as well and give it a clean out, if not then just stuff some clean cloth over the air inlet until the filter is ready to go back in.

5. Take the filter home and give it a clean up with some warm but not hot soapy water (or if you really want to splash out then some proper filter cleaner), rinse it and leave it to dry naturally.

6. Spray a small amount of filter oil on the inside of the filter (I use the spray stuff which I find to be much more convenient and I've not had any problems with it, although soaking it in a bottled oil then squeezing to remove the excess may be better?) Also put a little grease or oil around the base of the lip on the filter where it seals with the airbox.

7. Put it all back together, putting a bead of silicone around the top three sides of the airbox which will seal to the mudguard to stop water running down into the filter. It might be an idea to use a small amount of copper slip on each screw, or some light grease.

Go out for a ride!

If you do need to remove the airbox, then you may have some problems getting the small countersunk screws out of the subframe, they have a tendancy to rust in. Also you'll need to remove the exhaust muffler and mid-pipe to give room to wangle it out.

Shouldn't be too hard!

Hope that makes sense,

Bob

Hi,

I'm not sure about the 250, but my son has a '00 Rev 3 125 and his air filter is accessed from a triangular panel recessed into the rear mudguard on the left hand side of the bike above the footrest. Knowing how they tend to have the same features within the 'family' I would be surprised if yours is different.

The panel is held on with three screws and underneath this the air filter is held on with another three screws going though a retaining plate, remove this and you pull the filter out. You just need to clean it and when dry re-oil it.

You may be able to get a manual from the Beta website?

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers, Stoford.

Thankyou for your advice. Ive been told to clean the filter in petrol ? but i think ill go with you guys on the soapy water. I think the gear box oil needs changing too as its really hard to go up the gears ? its also really difficult to select neutral ? is this inherent with the model ? sorry im a true novice.

Should be changing the gearbox oil quite frequently anway.

I used too do my '04 once a month or there abouts when I was using it every weekend

And my '07 have been advised around every 20 hours

Edited by barrybaines

spot on with the 'neutral' hard to find when bike is running, should sneak in easy enough when stopped though.

do not use 'hot' water to clean the filter only use luke warm the filter will definately shrink and you'll spend ages trying to work how it ever fitted in the first place (been there!)

Edited by totalshell