She's Dead Dave...

neonsurge

After cleaning my '06 250 Rev3 yesterday, I removed the flywheel cover and ran the engine for a few minutes as usual. The bike started fine and responded to throttle movements so I turned it off and left 'er out in the sun for half and hour or so to fully dry off the plastics. When I went to put it back in the garage, it started but immediately picked up a lot of revs and as soon as I cracked the throttle, it died and I haven't been able to start it since.

I've pulled the flywheel and the woodruff key is fine. The stator looks immaculate (no signs of corrosion or evidence of moisture ingress at all).

I've removed and cleaned the carb thoroughly.

I pulled the plug and there's a decent spark although maybe not as strong as I'd expect. Hard to tell.

I've checked the kill button and that seems to be OK.

Any ideas where to look next?

After cleaning my '06 250 Rev3 yesterday, I removed the flywheel cover and ran the engine for a few minutes as usual. The bike started fine and responded to throttle movements so I turned it off and left 'er out in the sun for half and hour or so to fully dry off the plastics. When I went to put it back in the garage, it started but immediately picked up a lot of revs and as soon as I cracked the throttle, it died and I haven't been able to start it since.

I've pulled the flywheel and the woodruff key is fine. The stator looks immaculate (no signs of corrosion or evidence of moisture ingress at all).

I pulled the plug and there's a decent spark although maybe not as strong as I'd expect. Hard to tell.

If it were me i'd be looking for water in the carb and was it cold (weather) when you washed the bike? If it ran fine up until you cleaning it the problems with water running down the throttle cable could be the answer. If it was cold on the day you cleaned it i know from experience water can freeze in the carb very quickly you'd get the same kind of symtoms you have said and this happened to me on a Montesa 315 .....best of luck what ever is causing it.

Edited by spud

If it were me i'd be looking for water in the carb and was it cold (weather) when you washed the bike? If it ran fine up until you cleaning it the problems with water running down the throttle cable could be the answer. If it was cold on the day you cleaned it i know from experience water can freeze in the carb very quickly you'd get the same kind of symtoms you have said and this happened to me on a Montesa 315 .....best of luck what ever is causing it.

Left out in the sun for half an hour sort of gives it away what the weather was like!!!

Left out in the sun for half an hour sort of gives it away what the weather was like!!!

Been sunny here all day but I would certainley not be out in shorts and t-shirt! in fact it was pretty damn cold

Well actually is HAS been pretty warm here the past couple of days. Proper t-shirt weather yesterday when I cleaned the bike so I don't think freezing is the problem.

It did seem like fuel starvation with the suddenly rising revs and all and thinking about it, when I took the carb off there was a distinct lack of fuel in there. I know the carb's OK now so I guess it could be a blocked fuel line or filter. I'll take a look at that tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's help!

Been sunny here all day but I would certainley not be out in shorts and t-shirt! in fact it was pretty damn cold

had hailstones on a bright sunny day not too long ago, so i think my point stands about it being sunny and cold.

Edited by spud

had hailstones on a bright sunny day not too long ago, so i think my point stands about it being sunny and cold.

It was bright, sunny and WARM, okay? :thumbup: :thumbup:

BTW, it was a blocked fuel line. Once again, many thanks for everyone's help :thumbup:

explain further please?

blocked coincidentally, or something in the cleanup that pinched/blocked it?

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure. All the symptoms pointed to fuel starvation and I knew the carb was OK because I'd given it a thorough clean using the compressor. Anyway, I whipped the carb off again along with the silencer and mid pipe, drained the tank, removed the fuel tap and hose, blew everything out again, reassembled, put fresh fuel in and she fired up first kick. I can only assume that it was an airlock or some kind of blockage in the fuel hose or tap :thumbup:

I had a mystery air lock in mine a few months ago? realised there was no fuel getting through luckily by just looking at the filter. I took the pipe off the filter and the fuel flowed straightaway? put it back on and it work fine?