4rt Prep For Scottish

bucki3

Hi everyone, as the time is now looming for the trip up to fort william, i was wondering if anyone has tips for preping the 4RT for the scottish. Apart from the obvious fresh oil/filters and tyres, is there any little secrets i should undertake?? Thanks in advance!

Same as with any other bike go through it from front to back & check everything, replace anything that's worn, make sure you fit a mudflap. Also ride it at least once to make sure you've put everything back together properly. Then all you have to do is let the Army fill it with gas & off you go.

I might be a bit paranoid but...... I was going to run a heavy duty ( Renthal R1 ) chain, Enduro 4mm front tube. Has anyone used the YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE exhaust cover? Are the benificial for the ssdt? As far as spares to take round with me, levers, rear brake pedal, gear lever, spare chain link, dog turds and tool, front tube, tyre levers, Co2 bottles, 8" shifter, 8,10,13,14,17mm combis and a few allen keys. I've got a delay tank bag for the majority of the kit but not sure if i'm going overkill, i can split the kit who i'm riding with!

Any feedback would be great!

Definately don't split the kit, Haversack or bum bag better as you can drop it off at the end of the section and pick it up after you have cleaned them all.

If you have an adjustable don't need the bigger spanners, cut off 1" off the allen keys and weld onto the handle end of the adjustable.

Suggest you use the tools you are going to take with you at home first to ensure they are ok for purpose.

Not sure if you mentioned pliers.

Suggets you run 7 or 8 psi in front tyre as not so critical in SSDT, better than puncture.

Last year Gas Gas and Beta both had good pages on SSDT prep, also some general ones on web. Read all and pick best idea.

John Lampkins tip of using gaffer tape to make lower half of front mudguard wider saves lots of mud coming off front wheel

I was only dumb enough to carry a rucksack once. If it doesn't go in my Moose bag which doubles up as a seat or in my pockets, it isn't going. I hate riding sections with a bag on & the amount of time / energy saved not actually walking right to the End Cards of every section is significant.

Don't bother with goggles either, just use a pair of safety glasses which go in the pocket when not in use. It's best to keep them in a plastic bag though as the peat acts like grinding paste & you can't see bugger all through them by midweek.

Ishy is wearing his wellies & fitting an armchair to his bike this year but that's another story.

• 2 weeks later...