290 Dog Bone

gasgasssser

I`ve just replaced the dog bone bearings on my 290.I was wondering what you lot do (if anything) to protect them.They get all the muck and water thrown at them whilst riding and i also blast that particular area with my power washer.(probably not a good idea).I thought about plastering them with waterproof grease to keep the water out.What do you lot think??

Cheers

:thumbup:

I use waterproof grease and clean them out 2-3x a year. Pressure washers aren't the best thing. May want to put it on a gentle setting while washing in that area. I would be interested to see what other people's opinions are on this topic too.

-Laura

i have a gasser and i clean mine every month and re grease them and pack them full with waterproof grease but it dont seem to matter cos it all gets blasted out with pressure washer anyway but if i were you id try not to clean them with the pressure washer and just do them once a month instead will keep them running sweeter for longer i do think

Alright gasser,

I tend to clean "n" grease mine every month on my 290. Funny thing is I was just thinkin this week, why didint sherco put some kind of better weather protection on them????

essex riders plastic washer idea sounds good, might try that out. Another idea is a neoprene sock, like the type you would use on a mountain bike fork leg.

until a good solution comes along, I guess regular greasin' is the way forward.... :thumbup:

Just wondering what techniques you guys use to grease those needle bearing in the linkage.

I just pack with grease, trap air and spin with my fingers.

It amazes me how much play developes in the dog bones after a short time of riding on Sherco's, are Gassers the same?

What they should do is do away with the whole dogbone thing like the betas have.Makes you wonder why no other manufacturer has done the same.Meanwhile,if i clean/grease monthly,i`l be bloody good at it eventually :thumbup:

Maybe i should post the time it takes me to do it and start some sort of "dogbone greasin`challenge!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I've always wondered why they don't have nipples on them to make them easier to grease. I think it was my TT350 that had them :blink:

Probably because they are made so light that drilling oilways to the bearings would weaken them too much. There has to be some sacrifices for having these super light weight bikes.

• 4 months later...
I`ve just replaced the dog bone bearings on my 290.I was wondering what you lot do (if anything) to protect them.They get all the muck and water thrown at them whilst riding and i also blast that particular area with my power washer.(probably not a good idea).I thought about plastering them with waterproof grease to keep the water out.What do you lot think??

Cheers

:blink:

I need to replace these soon. Is it a tough job?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi, nothing too hard in doing these -Just follow the instructions on the Sherco USA website [ RYP] Make sure everything is nice and clean and use a vice to push the bearings out and to replace them -Job done.

Water entry and resulting corrosion are the big factors, not normal wear. Whatever type ov grease, use plenty around the bushings and entry points and keep away with the powerwasher. You can clean around these areas by hand an re apply more waterproof grease to protect things without disassembly and between normal maintenance. Just apply more grease to prevent water entry.

An ouce of prevention! Then you do not have to do them once a month!

That is unless you are using it as a submarine!

There is a minimal amount of slack from new, things have to move. This translates to a slight click or free play when lifting the rear of the bike when stationary. If your click becomes a "clunk" you need to ck things out. Disassemble and inspect things, as many times there are only one or two that are bad and the rest just need cleaning and repacking. :blink:

Then there are the "doubleclack" ones! Never had any maintenance! :P Get out your wallet!