De Coke= Rocket Ship

mil

Ok, so this post might be slightly inspired as I couldn't bear the number one topic of discussion being about the orientation of front wheel spacers (!) but I was on the other week getting advice on de-coking the engine. First time back out on it today and couldn't believe the difference! It pulled so crisply! A couple of things really- First- if you haven't done this for a while, you're missing out on some horses, and secondly are there any other mods/ servicing I should be looking to do to unleash a few more ponies and make her run better and aid the smiles for miles factor??

Mil

Ok, so this post might be slightly inspired as I couldn't bear the number one topic of discussion being about the orientation of front wheel spacers (!) but I was on the other week getting advice on de-coking the engine. First time back out on it today and couldn't believe the difference! It pulled so crisply! A couple of things really- First- if you haven't done this for a while, you're missing out on some horses, and secondly are there any other mods/ servicing I should be looking to do to unleash a few more ponies and make her run better and aid the smiles for miles factor??

Mil

I once asked a bike shop if it would make a difference if i de coked my 2 stroke and he said "have you ever tried taking a **** with a cork up yer ass" :blink:

To de-coke it was basically cylinder off and a good clean- I used a razor blade to get the worst of it off the piston head and then the mighty dremmel polished everything else up a treat. The piston rings were a pain until a realised they have a specific orientation and this allows them to be easily compressed and cylinder slides right over. Little bit of a jiggle as clearance is minimal but rotating the crank manually helps to slot it in.

As I mentioned before it's well worth the effort as the bike feels like new...

Mil