To Beta Or Not To Beta?

dougielampshade

I've been back into trials for about 3 years now and always had Gassers, but my Raga replica's a bit tired and i'm thinking of switching to a Beta. The main reason for this is the poor build quality, i'm just sick of allen screws which round off when any force is applied and my air box looks like a world class mud section after every trial. I love how my Gasser rides but just feel it's time for a change and i have nothing to compare it to except the twinshocks i rode years ago. I hear the Beta's are much more planted and stable over rough stuff, for me this is where Gasser is weakest and maybe another to reason to change. Can anyone offer advice?

betas are bullet proof! one big problem is how much heavier they feel, i had a techno and you couldn't beat it enough! but they are kinda front heavy, they are very reliable and require very low maintenance, (mostly just basic) they start easy and run strong! i'd say go for it! hell i could let it sit in my cold shed and go out side in the dead of winter and kick it twice and it would start right up no problem! i say gooooooooooooooooooooooo beta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....................john

If you are really keen on the gassers try a Sherco, alot of people say the Sherco is a better built Gasser and more reliable. I have had Betas since 01 as the Gasser let me down 3 times in five weeks from new and I took it back to the dealer for a Rev3. They do fall apart and need a great deal of attention in the workshop but ride the best from the 4 or 5 I have had over the years.

The Beta is pretty much bullet proof, a few problems if you get a poor one but can be sorted out reasonably easily from info on here. I have had mine nearly a year now and it gets ridden aprox 20 hours a week still looks good and nothing is falling off or worn out. Like most Trials bikes the bolts are ***** so i always replace most of them from new with good ones. The rev3 is very easy to work on and spares seem very good value if you bust loads, in my view the 270 is the best hill climber of all bikes and has loads of low down grunt if you play with gearing and set up.

I had a go on a 4rt last week, first time and was well impressed, the suspension is incredible compared to other bikes I ve tried, Ralph and James said the same. I did think it would feel big and heavy but it does nt, probably down to how good the suspension is, it hops and flicks about just as well as the Beta and somehow feels as if its glued to the floor. I am going to have a go on it again in the streams in wales tomorrow and if it rides as well again I think it will be my next bike. The Monts build quality is second to none and they have been around long enough now any major problems would have showed up.

I rode a 250 Scorpa early last year before I had a bike, I was surprised how easy it was to ride, never buy one but it was alot better than I thought it would be.

Edited by Betarev3

I have a 02 gasgas pro and can agree with the above, high maintenance. I love the way it feels so light though, a friend of mine has an 06 270 rev and it feels so much heavier when ridden. true it is very well planted but it doesn't feel as much fun!

AS so many have said before on these pages. try before you buy.

I have had so many rev 3's now i cant remember if the front feels heavier than other bikes that much. As Billy said I have dropped the forks through the yolks to lift the front which feels better but higher bars did not work that well. I have nt noticed tucking under on the bike at all. Maintenance wise keep a good eye on loose bolts as per most bikes, the rear disc bolts tend to come loose and rear bash plate bolts on mine. Keep the air filter clean as possible and get the extended float bowl extension, use 98 octane fuel with good premix oil and you should nt go too wrong. If the bike feels rich as most Betas do there are plenty of easy cures on here to get it running right. Lampkins recommend a BPR5ES plug not the standard 7 they come with new, it does make a difference straightaway

Good Luck

If you liked the gasser, sherco is the way to go. It will be similar, but less work to do. I used to ride Beta's, thought the world of them. Switched to Sherco last year, first off I thought I made a huge mistake, but the more I got used to the Sherco, the more I could do and bigger stuff too. I tried an 07 270 Beta early this year but felt like I was always forced too far forward. I can't seem to ride the Beta and keep my weight back. However, the build quality of the Beta is probably second to none, if they would just get rid of the mikuni and go with dellorto. (my 2 cents). The best bike for me is the Sherco, it has elevated my riding level tremendously. The bike is an absolute rocket!

I'll go with what titanium has said, my next bike will either be a 4rt or Sherco, more likely to be the Sherco at the moment (Better built Gasser) the rev3 is starting to feel like a heavy weight compared to the others but still a very good well made bike though. Hopefully when beta bring out something completely different without a Mikuni I will buy one, but the Sherco and 4rt seem much better bikes these days.

I'll go with what titanium has said, my next bike will either be a 4rt or Sherco, more likely to be the Sherco at the moment (Better built Gasser) the rev3 is starting to feel like a heavy weight compared to the others but still a very good well made bike though. Hopefully when beta bring out something completely different without a Mikuni I will buy one, but the Sherco and 4rt seem much better bikes these days.

:blink:

I win again justin........converted you to a sherco lover without even meeting you. :thumbup:

My first problem with the sherco is a bloody puncture!!! :)

Rumour has it the 2007 Beta is much lighter feeling in the front end. Can anyone confirm this? does the new bike handle as well as the Sherco/Gas Gas from a manouverability/hopping perspective or is it still at a distinct disadvantage. I am on a 06 Beta, reluctantly thinking of switching to Sherco or Gas Gas for the handling, but there are no new 07's Beta's around here to try, to see if they are now comparable.

Rumour has it the 2007 Beta is much lighter feeling in the front end. Can anyone confirm this? does the new bike handle as well as the Sherco/Gas Gas from a manouverability/hopping perspective or is it still at a distinct disadvantage. I am on a 06 Beta, reluctantly thinking of switching to Sherco or Gas Gas for the handling, but there are no new 07's Beta's around here to try, to see if they are now comparable.

Were are you? anywere near Chepstow? can have a go on mine if you want

??? beta, bad handling??? i feel the beta is one of the best handling bikes for tight turns etc, as for the sherco, it is easy to hop which is good as they dont turn as tight as the betas.

Different bikes will suit different areas of britain (if this is where youre from) and also a lot depends on your riding style.

Hi, I have had the exact same scenario as you now have.

I have just sold my 04 Raga Rep and am moving to Beta (if it arrives anytime soon...)

Like most people I love the way the Gas Gas rides, it is the best feeling machine by far.

However, like most people I found a lack of time and energy to keep going over bits on the Gasser to check they were tight or to fix silly little bits.

I agree that the Beta's do feel a little heavier than the Gas Gas, however many people say this works to your benefit most of the time as the bike is so stable and planted whilst you are in sections. I rode a Beta at the weekend with - lowered forks, Renthal FatBars, Hebo footrests, quick action throttle and it felt FANTASTIC I now cannot wait for mine to arrive.

Dont get me wrong I like the Sherco's as a compromise of similar to Gas Gas feel but superior feel, however I dont think many people will disagree that the Beta is much better put together than other bikes and is on a par with the Montesa.

Will let you know more when I get mine and can give it a thorough test....