To Beta Or Not To Beta?

dougielampshade

Chriss could well be a convert, my mates got a caber rep much better bike than the standard sherco, rides really smooth and feels more like a gasser than anything else. Never breaks down and very easy to work on. May have to wait till the 08's come out but looking like a sherco in the autumn :blink:

Chriss could well be a convert, my mates got a caber rep much better bike than the standard sherco, rides really smooth and feels more like a gasser than anything else. Never breaks down and very easy to work on. May have to wait till the 08's come out but looking like a sherco in the autumn :blink:

Never had the pleasure of riding a caby replica, but im re-building mine over the next two weeks, with new bearings all round and fluids as well. And my shocks leaking a little oil (i think all this sand down here has scratched it and ruined the seal) so either an 07 shock OR a TRP one, so it may start to feel a little smoother at the rear.

Well i've had pretty much all the different bikes over the years apart from the new 4 strokers, and Betas are definately better than gassers the only thing better with a gasser is it's a bit lighter!!!! i don't know why people think the front end is heavy???

Just move the bars back a little bit, that'll shift your wait back and help grip and lighten the front end feel!!

I definately agree with Betarev3 about the 4rt suspension, I have only ridden one for a couple of minutes and you can tell instantly that it is perfect but i'm not totally convinced that i want one yet and my bank balance wont run to that at the moment anyway. I have been on one Sherco but the power delivery was so soft that it felt like i had to rev it a few seconds before i was ready for the power to come in and i found myself crashing into rocks instead of lifting the front wheel over them. The bars were probably too far back but the riding position felt horrible, like i wanted to sit down. So Beta seems to be the best option for me and if the extra weight at the front means i don't get thrown around like a rag doll in rocky streams etc' then i think it might be worth it.

Just been on to the dealers and it seems i might have an 07 tomorrow. I was reading a post on here somewhere from a dealer in Scotland who recon's they've made so many changes any other manufacturer would call it a new model. Aswell as moving the footpegs back and shaving 1.5KG off it they've made the chassis narrower by 25mm or so at the front, i reckon that although the width is a physcological thing together with the other things it will be a vast improvement. Maybe I'll still be riding streams like an MX track after all? Anyway I'll be sure to let you know what i think after this weekend (if i get it).

Just been on to the dealers and it seems i might have an 07 tomorrow.

Crikey - you've done well...

I ordered mine 2 weeks and 2 days ago and am now hoping to pick up on Friday for a quick fiddle on Saturday and comp on Sunday.....

Here's hoping

I've got an 05 Gas Gas and an 07 Beta, and have ridden an 06 Beta. The 06 Beta felt heavier then my Gas Gas, but the 07 Beta i really can't say its any heavier. The 07 Beta is good for going across cambers, rear wheel hopping, stability and steering. The Gas Gas is better in the mud bounces the both front and rear wheels with ease, but nothing the Beta isn't that good at. The quality of build i'm sad to say on my Gas Gas (raga) is 'not' that bad!! The Beta seems to come apart easier than the Gas Gas, but i know how to work on the Gas Gas so its even stevens. The only thing i can honestly say which the Beta is better at is rider stability. My Beta's clutch is very snatchy and this lets the bike down quite a lot. If I say i'm riding my Gas Gas in competition and the Beta in the odd competition for now, i'm sure you can draw a conclusion from this.

Edited by spud

Just picked up my new Rev3 270 yesterday, spent an hour or so setting up suspension and clutch and now it feels great.

Def heavier at the front end (although not yet tried it on any trials terrain) but the turning circle is fantastic and the rear suspension now feels great (felt like a brick when I picked it up)

Got first comp tomorrow so should be able to give a real idea as to how it is in comparison to the Gas Gas Raga Rep, needs a fast action throttle put on (hopefully do before trial in morning) as at the minute I feel about a second in front of the bike....... Will update tomorrow!

Just picked up my new Rev3 270 yesterday, spent an hour or so setting up suspension and clutch and now it feels great.

Def heavier at the front end (although not yet tried it on any trials terrain) but the turning circle is fantastic and the rear suspension now feels great (felt like a brick when I picked it up)

Got first comp tomorrow so should be able to give a real idea as to how it is in comparison to the Gas Gas Raga Rep, needs a fast action throttle put on (hopefully do before trial in morning) as at the minute I feel about a second in front of the bike....... Will update tomorrow!

The 07 270 comes with a fast action.

Thanks for this, I realised that when I went to put on another fast action throttle yesterday afternoon - DOH!

Have now ordered the Dellorto Carb for the bike which will hopefully improve the throttle response of the bike.

On the plus side, am just back from my first trial on the Beta and I LOVE IT........... FIrst lap = total shambles - SO DIFFERENT to the Gasser, but after that started to pull things together and got dialled into the bike and it's characteistics.

Only (teeny tiny) complaint was the heavy throttle, which will hopefully be resolved by the Dellorto other than that I am a 100% Beta convert (just need the results to follow now!)

The Dellorto will make a mega difference in both smoothness,light feel in the throttle and no fuel p****** out the carb. It may take abit of setting up at first but well worth the effort. You will however loose some hair first few goes at trying to fit it to the airbox boot and the Beta fuel pipe will not fit easy to the carb. You will also see the metal throttle cable body is to high on the carb, Ralph has his like this but was thinking of getting it bent so the cable enters the tube at a better angle,no problem as it is but might be worth getting it lowered. I am pretty sure Ralph takes the mid box off and possibly the header to make the refitting much easier,sounds excessive but if it takes 2 hours by not taking the exhaust off you will soon wished you had. He may of found an easier way by now, sure he will post to let you know

Good luck

Thanks for this, I realised that when I went to put on another fast action throttle yesterday afternoon - DOH!

Have now ordered the Dellorto Carb for the bike which will hopefully improve the throttle response of the bike.

On the plus side, am just back from my first trial on the Beta and I LOVE IT........... FIrst lap = total shambles - SO DIFFERENT to the Gasser, but after that started to pull things together and got dialled into the bike and it's characteistics.

Only (teeny tiny) complaint was the heavy throttle, which will hopefully be resolved by the Dellorto other than that I am a 100% Beta convert (just need the results to follow now!)

It seems the dealers aren't as efficient as they said so i haven't got my rev3 yet, just hope i enjoy the change over as you have! How would you say it differs the most? Suppose i'll know soon enough but as i've missed a 4 day weekend of trials waiting is doing my head in!

It seems the dealers aren't as efficient as they said so i haven't got my rev3 yet, just hope i enjoy the change over as you have! How would you say it differs the most? Suppose i'll know soon enough but as i've missed a 4 day weekend of trials waiting is doing my head in!

It is about as different as you can get from the Gasser.

The front feels heavier (cos it is) but it steers so much nicer. The main thing I noticed is that on the Gas Gas I always felt like I wanted to / had to hop and bop the front and rear end. On the Beta it encourages you to ride the bike more rather than trick ride.

The chassis is so sorted, the bike is very well planted and stable whereby the Gas Gas seems skittish in it's handling characteristics by comparison.

It took me a whole lap on my first trial to feel 'on the bike' my 2nd, 3rd and 4th laps were much better.

All I have done so far is, set up the suspension, adjust the clutch and sirt out the settings on the carb.

Think you'll like it, even if it takes a while to adjust....