Trailers

frontroomautos

Can anyone tell me how they find trailers as oppossed to using vans or racks to cart around a trials bike. I was looking at a van but am now wondering if a trailer would be a cheaper option though i would like to know how secure they are and how easy they are to tie down. Also i dont like the look of my new trials bike all exposed to the eliments and possible catastrophies of other drivers hitting it but perhaps i am being a bit fairy about it all. The cost of a trailer against a van is cheaper but, being short and low it looks a bit difficult to reverse etc should i have to. Any feedback would be appreciated. I've looked at vans and narrowed it down to the Citroen Fiat Pergeot Expert type but prices are expensive compared to a cheap

After a year of using a rack 90% of the time (sometimes get a lift with a trailer) I have had enough of the rack and am about too buy a van. Not only because I would feel a lot happier with the bike inside my vehicle whilst travelling and parked up, but it will also give me somewere too get changed in the rain etc.

In my limited experiances the racks are a great convieniance tool, The trailer is a very good option but storing a trailer is a no no for me plus the bike is still outside a vehicle when parked/travelling and like I previously mentioned I like the idea of a dry haven from the Great British weather

After a year of using a rack 90% of the time (sometimes get a lift with a trailer) I have had enough of the rack and am about too buy a van. Not only because I would feel a lot happier with the bike inside my vehicle whilst travelling and parked up, but it will also give me somewere too get changed in the rain etc.

In my limited experiances the racks are a great convieniance tool, The trailer is a very good option but storing a trailer is a no no for me plus the bike is still outside a vehicle when parked/travelling and like I previously mentioned I like the idea of a dry haven from the Great British weather

I used a van for a few years but found that a trailer was far more convenient. I only needed a van on Sundays or occasionally one evening in the week to transport the bike, the rest of the time I was driving it around wishing I had a car.

That said, on long journeys it's a bit dodgy to go into a service station or a pub for a meal if your bike is outside on a trailer. It is also nice to have somewhere to get changed after the trial.

The van is far the best option, you cant 100% ensure the security of a trailer or rack. There is products you can buy to stop disconnecting a trailer if you plan to leave the bike on overnight but you cant be sure they wont just take the bike through force etc. I personally dont like racks due to the "bounce" that you can get, surely if its used often enough this would lead to metal fatique. Ground clearance and grip is sometimes an issue on farm roads etc due to the cars wheelie effect. With a van you can get changed in the back out of rain/snow etc and the bike can stay in overnight without anyones knowing its there. Its worth the extra outlay! :blink:

i think that using a bike rack or even a van would be alot better than a trailer if you only have one bike

1. it saves money on petrol as your carrying less weight with a bike rack than a trailer

2. a van or car with a bike rack onb back can be parked alot easier than a trailer

3. trailers are hard to reverse and manouvre about whereas a small van or bike rack isnt

so basically there are alot of things in favour of a bike rack or van to a trailer and after having a bike rack for two years i definitely wont go back to using a trailer if am taking just one bike but i would prefer a small van cos in the winter when its cold and raining a van is good to get changed in etc

A point I forgot too mention on my post is that I have no other use for a car/van than too transport the bike other than perhaps a little bit of shopping?

So if you have a family or people too cart about more then the rack/trailer could be a bit more convieniant.

i used to have a van and it was great for taking the bike but nowt else, i moved back to the car and trailer as it's more practical but i do miss having somewhere dry to get changed when it's p****** down

I have two trailers, depending upon if I'm on my own or with mates.

Thje single bike one is basically a hand built 4' x 3' box trailer. The front section lifts out allowing the front wheel to sit right on the front member, the back wheel being in the trailer. Advantage - Its a box trailer for use for camping, going to the tip etc ! - Disadvantages - Storage - but I have a biggish back garden so its not a problem. I also have a 3 bike trailer - advantage - cuts down on fuel costs travelling 3 together - disadvantage - storage again, but it does stand vertical and not take up too much space.

I've had vans previously, and bike racks.

I prefer the car and trailer as it's one day a week the car is used to to the bike(s), and it its p-ing down with rain, youre wet anyway so getting changed in the wet makes no difference !

cheers

John.

i have an old car i used to have trailer but its slow on motorway no fast lane use,parking takes 2 car spaces,remember to take spare wheel,i have now got a rack im very pleased with it highley reccomended,but can not leave car to go for a cup of tea or pee,vans are uncomfortable noisey and check your insurance they think you want to carry goods

I`ve had a rack for years and found it very convenient for my limited storage.

The downside was the damage my bike did to my car when I hit a bump in the road when I was on my way to the first TC trial. It was solid on left or right turns, but forwards and backwards it could move about a bit.

I have bought my eldest a TY80 and need to cart the 2 bikes around now, but cannot afford to have a van sitting on the driveway for 6 days a week, so have designed and built a trailer that I can take apart easily and store easily. It can take 2 bikes side by side, or one bike in the middle. If I was building another one though, I would make one or 2 "mods" to make it even quicker to put together and take apart again. Only thing I`ve got to do now, is learn to reverse the bloody thing.

It does help that its not that long, only about 2foot longer than my bike all told. I am quite at ease now when driving now because nohing bothers it and I can put my foot down a bit more and its no effort for the car to pull, not like the rack, having to check the road ahead for any dips and bumps to prevent any movement of the bike and checking my rear view mirror every 10 seconds.

As for getting changed, couldnt you do that in the car , with the seat pushed all the way back?

Well thanks for all your replies, they have been helpful hearing the opinion of other people. I imagine i will end up with the Citroen Dispatch van as it has 3 seats and theres only me the better half and a little one. I seldom have more than 3 people in my car ever so if i bought a nice car it would be only used as a workhorse to get changed in, cart my bike even if it is only once a week but it also has other benefits, i mostly only do 30 mile round trip to work so comfort is not priority and me and other than that its local trips or the odd camping holiday with the missus. I like the benefits the van offers as they have been spelled out to me although i knew what they were it helps to hear it from others who have used one. As for cost well i suppose its only the difference between a tow bar being fitted and the cost of a decent trailer and the deisel van is pretty good on miles per gallon (especially in something modest size like the dispatch). So if theres any extra to pay in costs it cant be loads and whatever that is it must be nice to have the comforts and peace of mind of a van with the stuff in the back. Lastley a van with a few marks or dents to the pannels is not what i want but it would wear them better than a car (especially a nice car) So i think i have got there in the end, perhaps the van is the best option for me, but thanks all for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Short answer:

Your first friends are right. If it's less than 750Kg you're OK.

Longer answer:

If the trailer does not exceed 750Kg MAM (Maximum authorised mass - that's the maximum it's permitted to weigh when fully loaded, not necessarily its actual weight) then you only need a Category B licence (that's your standard car licence).

If the trailer has a MAM over 750Kg then you need a B+E licence

Anyone who passed a car test before 1 January 1997 automatically gets B+E entitlement. Anyone else has to take the trailer test to upgrade theit licence from B to B+E

Google is your friend: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Drive...cles/DG_4022564 :o