Sorry..fuel Mix Question Again

dr nick

Picked my 98 Techno up today after having new mains fitted.

Had a quick chat with the mechanic about looking after the bike ,and he gave me 2 peices of advice

1- After drowning it ,always make sure you start it again within the hr ,to stop corrosion of the mains

2 - use a mix of 50:1 with semi-synthetic at all times

Is the 50:1 mix a tad to rich ???? I`ve been running it at 70:1 ,and when he showed me the old mains ...it was frightening.

Not to say that running 70:1 was the reason they failed ....but maybe a factor ???

anyone got any veiws.

BTW - I also found out that its got 95 Techno footpeg brackets fitted,apparently they put the footpegs another inch further back for better grip

regards

N

how do you know that they are 95 brackets? dont worry about stuff like that when i got my 98 techno it had a whole load of 95 stuff fitted to it (exhaust aibox and electrix). I used to run my bike with fully sinthetic castrol tts at 80:1 but now use semi synthetic super tt at 50:1 and as long as you rev it that little bit more i find that it runs alot smoother it just means that the occasional blast has to be given to it to clear the exhaust out when poodling around in tight sections. I have been told that if you ride it a lot on the road then it a a good thing to run 50:1 as I have heard they wear out very quick in these cases when running on 80:1

50:1 with a semi synthetic is probably o.k 'cause they seem to 'burn off' better than the fully synthetic equivalents.

The full synthetics tend to condense in the cooler parts of the exhaust( the silencers).This is why when you take the bike for a high geared blast every now and again,it will probably smoke heavily after a while(because the exhaust temp. rises to a level where the excess oil is finally burnt off).

You'll also notice that the bike will feel a lot more crisp and sharp on the throttle.

It sounds like the main damage to your old mains was caused by water getting in(?),if this does happen you,ve gotta get it out and quick.Failure to do so(even for a short time)will knacker your bearings unbelievably quickly!.

Go for 50:1 semi, or 70:1 fully synthetic and be happy!

Cheers :wacko:

well bean as castrol tts is only made for fuel mixes 50:1 25:1 and so on you might have been doing some damage but after i looked at the back of the bottle and it said 50:1 on the back i stoped using it a changed to fully synthetic ipone oil very good

I`ve been using Ipone ,the red stuff that smells of strawberries,and because it says "synthetic"on the bottle automatically assumed it was fully synthetic oil so mixed it at around 75:1.

I have since found out that it is semi-synthetic ,and should be mixing it at 1.5%...or 50:1.

Maybe that didnt help the bearings any

Regards

N