99 Techno Starting Problems ( Stator ?)

karcass

My baby is in the shop now and it looks like to get it running the spark plug gap is way tighter than spec.

The mechanic says he thinks it may be the Stator.

If so, can they be rebuilt as it looks like I was quoted around 400 for a new one.

thanks

Hi you say you were quoted 400. - 400 of what? Dollars Pounds Pennies Pasetas? I had a 99 Techno and had to change a stator - was told a common fault - I am guessing you are not in GB?There are a couple of firms that rewind them here so it is possible to do so try localy?

Hi you say you were quoted 400. - 400 of what? Dollars Pounds Pennies Pasetas? I had a 99 Techno and had to change a stator - was told a common fault - I am guessing you are not in GB?There are a couple of firms that rewind them here so it is possible to do so try localy?

Thanks

I'm in Canada so I was told about 450 Canadian. I would love to find a local rewinder service,

• 2 weeks later...

So it looks like I'm sending My stator to Steve @ Motoplat to rewind it.

The next question is:

Is there anything important I should know to take this thing off of my bike?

Any special tools?

Is the main nut right or left hand tighten?

I'm such a newbie...

You'll need to find some way of holding the flywheel, A bloke I know kindly made a tool from a HUGE washer and bit of bar welded together then drilled two holes in it so it could be bolted on; but some people put the bike in gear and use the back brake, or use an air gun to get a bit more kick.

You might want to mark on the nut and flywheel where the nut was before so you can do it up to the same spot, or get a torque wrench and go back to 130-140 Nm.

Once you've got the nut off you'll need a flywheel puller to get the flywheel off, not sure exactly on the sizes for that, Lampkins stock them though. Try to go straight out with the flywheel, avoid juggling as this might just further damage your stator.

Take note that there is a small 'half moon' or woodruff key on the crankshaft which locates the flywheel on the shaft, it might be firmly stuck in, but so long as it isn't damaged then it will be fine. When you put the flywheel back on make sure that they line up properly, be careful not to knock the key out when you pit it back on. The woodruff key isn't there to hold the flywheel in place, just to locate it when you put it on.

It shouldn't be as bad as I have maybe made out.

good luck,

Bob

You'll need to find some way of holding the flywheel, A bloke I know kindly made a tool from a HUGE washer and bit of bar welded together then drilled two holes in it so it could be bolted on; but some people put the bike in gear and use the back brake, or use an air gun to get a bit more kick.

You might want to mark on the nut and flywheel where the nut was before so you can do it up to the same spot, or get a torque wrench and go back to 130-140 Nm.

Once you've got the nut off you'll need a flywheel puller to get the flywheel off, not sure exactly on the sizes for that, Lampkins stock them though. Try to go straight out with the flywheel, avoid juggling as this might just further damage your stator.

Take note that there is a small 'half moon' or woodruff key on the crankshaft which locates the flywheel on the shaft, it might be firmly stuck in, but so long as it isn't damaged then it will be fine. When you put the flywheel back on make sure that they line up properly, be careful not to knock the key out when you pit it back on. The woodruff key isn't there to hold the flywheel in place, just to locate it when you put it on.

It shouldn't be as bad as I have maybe made out.

good luck,

Bob

Well after getting the flywheel cover off it looks like its going to be fun to pull the magneto off. For the main nut is it Righty Tighty Lefty Loosey? I just want to make sure before I break something.

Then its off to find that puller. I just need the thread Size. Anyone know that?

Thanks for all the help so far...

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought my first trials bike. I have enduro/offroad riding experience and wanted to try trials. My bike is also having starting problems due to lack of spark. I am trying to find the root cause. It looks like the automatic fan, headlight, and kill switch were disconnected on my bike, is this common? Should I wire the fan back? Why would the kill switch be disconnected?

I think my issue is either the stator, the coil, or simply a bad ground. I am going to test them soon to find out.

I am looking forward to getting the bike started and learning how to ride trials.