Float Valve

jack_h

hey all,

during my last few trials my beta 125 has been running really rich to the point of it stalling with a fouled up plug. On examination have found that fuel is leaking out the carb when the bike points down hill. I have tried adjusting float level with no success. Does anyone think a new float valve would solve the problem because me and my dad are running out of ideas.

thanks

jack

Perhaps? if I remember rightly you have an '04? now I had too replace one on my 04 just before I sold it as it was worn and now turn the fuel off well before I get too the car too save any unwanted pressure on the needle valve.

This said I know there are a few bikes that "seem" incurable have you done the drilling mod? have you cut your atmospheric tubes at an angle and pierced them? also I don't know if Steve is manufactoring them but he has made a machined down reed block spacer too lessen the angle slightly

HTH

Barry

Jack, test the float valve is closing/shutting the fuel off if you havent already. Remove the carb,take the float bowl off and hook up the fuel, very lightly hold the tangs so they close the fuel valve, if fuel is getting past could just be dirt or a worn seat/needle. Make sure the carb is at roughly the same height/angle as it would be if connected to the bike.

Jack, if the bike runs not too badly half to full throttle it may just be the needle not closing the fuel off, it will flood up to half throttle abit as the excess fuel cant be used quickly enough.

And make sure you put yer fag out before doing the fuel check

Edited by Betarev3

Perhaps? if I remember rightly you have an '04? now I had too replace one on my 04 just before I sold it as it was worn and now turn the fuel off well before I get too the car too save any unwanted pressure on the needle valve.

This said I know there are a few bikes that "seem" incurable have you done the drilling mod? have you cut your atmospheric tubes at an angle and pierced them? also I don't know if Steve is manufactoring them but he has made a machined down reed block spacer too lessen the angle slightly

HTH

Barry

125 don't use Mikuni's do they? Should have a Dellorto carb, the one with the massive idle screw?

If it is Dellorto, check your floats aren't sticking on the poles. The tiniest amount of dirt in between the pole and the float will cause it to stick and thus not shut the valve off. I'd also recommend removing your existing float valve, hold it up to the light and see if there is any marks/imperfections etc. The smallest of marks here will allow fuel to bypass the valve.

Before you buy anything, strip everything and examine very closely. Get a needle or very fine flat head screwdriver and clean everything!

Dan

i have tried your suggestion of checking the float valve and it does stop the fuel but when the float bowl is back on and you move the carb around fuel is pouring out the bottom hose. with the engine running would some of this fuel be going into the engine and flooding it hence causing the problem.

thanks

jack

HTH

Barry

125 don't use Mikuni's do they? Should have a Dellorto carb, the one with the massive idle screw?

If it is Dellorto, check your floats aren't sticking on the poles. The tiniest amount of dirt in between the pole and the float will cause it to stick and thus not shut the valve off. I'd also recommend removing your existing float valve, hold it up to the light and see if there is any marks/imperfections etc. The smallest of marks here will allow fuel to bypass the valve.

Before you buy anything, strip everything and examine very closely. Get a needle or very fine flat head screwdriver and clean everything!

Dan

my beta is using the mikuni carb.

thanks for the advice

jack