Cat Amongst The Pigeons

neo

Well NEO,

I have no sympathy for someone buying a bargain or a cheap buy, that was someones elses timebomb that lacked maintenance and need the dollars spent long ago on it that would have left it in better shape now.

A lot of A Grade bikes I have seen and ridden, I would not touch with a barge pole due to the hard life they have had. How can you compare your bike to an '07?

You should have bought my '03 270 that I have had advertised for a while on Trials Aust. - maintained and rides beautifully due to gentle life and lower grade owners.

I can show you many a '02 Gassa or Sherco with sloppy rear linkages and soft forks and rattly motors, ride like pigs too. Just need some attention thats all!

proof of what I have always thought about Aussie

mechanics.............................

I'm not an Aussie by birth. So maybe your assumptions are incorrect?

Well I have no sympathy for someone buying a bargain or a cheap buy,

Who said it was cheap?

How can

you compare your bike to an '07?

Easy...just get on, ride, then try and work on the bike....it's that

I would add that the well know reseller (in the City that this bike came from) did recommend the bike as "Outstanding Value" and "Rides great with exception to a loose muffler mounting". I was unaware that this kind of "Interstate Dumping" went on from reputable suppliers..

Just went back to re-read Neo's opening post as I suspected some of you are giving him an unjusitfied hard time. I would say what Neo is saying is fair. He's not giving the bike a slatting for the sake of it and as he points out, it is in his opinion. He backs his what he say's with examples so I take on board what he says and to be honest, a lot of it (if not all) is true.

Can't comment on the dealer situaion, but here in the uk John Lampkin Imports are of the highest order, really impressive service.

Cool another bike bashing post!

noooo not really.

Here in the states Beta with Ron Commo and Sherco/Scorpa with Ryan Young have the marketing down pat.

They are really pushing their bikes and giving out deals left and right. Their national support is awesome too.

I have seen multiple riders haveing problems with their bikes and those two companies go way above and beyond to get them back running.

Bravo to that.

But! (here it comes) there are things that draw me away from their bikes.

Last year i beat out three different competitors because their betas broke.

I love the beta frame and it is a really neat design but they love to go their own way on several every day things. Levers and masters for one. Yeah you can change that stuff over to ajp or who ever but why....

Their geometry is weird to me but that would just take a days worth of riding to get used to.

Build quality is good but all it takes is for 1 thing to fail which makes you dnf to turn my head.

Number one in build quality has to be Montesa. They have a great machine and I am not money enough to afford a 4rt and i really dont want the 15 extra pounds. Get the weight down and keep the quality and that is the number one machine out there. My roommate has a 315r and I dont think that there is a tree in norther michigan that he has not tried to impale himself on. He comes home broken but the bike keeps running.

Gasgas.... Ok i am really biased so we will just say. My baby rules and we will leave it at that.

Sherco. I have a 2.9 sitting in the garage that my buddy let me ride for a couple of weeks. The suspension rules but that is where the bike ends for me. Power is down. brakes stink. runs unconsistant. The die hard sherco guys i talk to say that ooo thats not a good year (2002) but they keep changing the bike every year! That is my big pet peve. I am all about improvement but come on build a good bike and stick with it! I saw several 06's frames break and they gave my buddies new frames. All of these buddies bought 2007's and praise the gods its so much better than the 06's. Last year praise the gods it was better than the 05. My buddy has a 2001 and he was told that they are no longer importing parts. argggg all of these makes me think twice about the bike.

Scorpa Ryan Just took over them here in the Us. I think that they have a quality product and FanticMatzy is here from Germany riding hers. I think that their build quaility is up there with Montesa. I think it is a great bike and i love that yamaha power plant but the weight is high still. Marketing may be pouring it on soon and for 80% of the us Scorpa is not even seen at the local events. We only have two in michigan.

--Good post thanks for letting me put that out there. Biff.

I would add that the well know reseller (in the City that this bike came from) did recommend the bike as "Outstanding Value" and "Rides great with exception to a loose muffler mounting". I was unaware that this kind of "Interstate Dumping" went on from reputable suppliers..

Sorry that has happened to you Neo, but that is unacceptable in such a small trials community we have in Oz.

I am not out to spar you in a post war, but you need to take this up with that dealer, and not diss on a brand of bike cos you had a bad time with a poor deal.

As we've seen many times on TA. A dealer just places an add for the private seller. But in this case the dealer also claimed to have ridden the bike. And gave it the thumbs up.

I

I have been trying to hold my tongue but its killing me. Beta quality is second to none. I can say this as a rider and a wrench. I wont argue that the Montesa folks do a nice job but to say its better is crazy. The only part of the Montesa that is better, that I can see, is peoples opinions do to the link with HRC. A huge amount of the people I see carring the Montesa banner have never owned or worked on one.

Maybe I dont keep my Betas long enough but after I set my bike up from new, about a 3 hour job, I wash it, keep a clean airfilter in it, change tranny oil often, and ride it. I rarely ever mess with it. It does not even foul plugs. Yes they like good gas and oil along with being reved out often, so big deal.

Unlike many of you at any given time during the season I usually have 1 or 2 of the other brands hanging out in the trailer. We quite often take the other bikes out after events and ride the sections to see the differences. I have converted quite a few riders over to Betas that way. I also get to spend time working on the other brands at events. All I can say is I can have a carb out of a Beta, jets cleaned or changed, floats adjusted properly, put back together for a test ride before most have pulled enough parts off there bike to get to the carb. I never have any issues getting fasteners to line up, and bottom line is its nice riding a bike that does not stretch out over time.

I know and appreciate the fact that we are all entitled to our own opinions. I also would agree with the fact that all the brands, with a good rider, are all very capable machines. The nice part about having 5 different choices is there is something for everyone. I do however wonder how much experience many of the folks with such strong opinions and commets actually have with the products they commet on.

Aaron

Maybe I dont keep my Betas long enough .......

I think this is a clear differentiator between your experience and my own.

Oh an when you get bored of all those spare bikes. Drop me a line and I

Edited by Neo

Hi Gents,

Just to let you know that so far, we've fixed up the following things on my friends Beta:-

1. The front hub disk mounting holes

2. Rebuilt the rear wheel. with a new hub.

3. Replaced the kickstart lever

4. Replaced the gear lever

5. Replaced the handle bars and grips

6. Got a new front mudguard...but need a mudguard bridge.

7. Got a new rear mudguard...but can't fit it yet because the top sub-frame arms are bent down.

8. Repacked the steering bearings...but I think they really need replacing soon.

9. Replaced the front sprocket.

10. Cleaned up the chain....it was a real ****ty mess.

11. Fitted an o-ring to the muffler connection....but it is still too loose because the muffler is damaged inside.

12. Replaced the pegs.

13. Replaced the chain block.

14. Replace the treacle in the gearbox :D

15. Bought and new carb inlet rubber. As the old one is cracking. But can

Ahh Neo. I see that you jest!

I see this for a number of reasons. That number is ten. I see ten of your points are in jest ;).

Read on good reader...

Hi Gents,

4. Replaced the gear lever

So.. this 5 year old bike bought unseen was ridable but you replaced the gear lever anyway? how bad could it have been. These will bend back (unlike the rear brake levers)

5. Replaced the handle bars and grips

The grips were worn! Damn!

6. Got a new front mudguard...but need a mudguard bridge.

The bridges are bendy eonugh to be bashed flat... sure they sometimes show, but again its 5 years old.

8. Repacked the steering bearings...but I think they really need replacing soon.

Factory recommended interval is 40 hours for check. Are you suggesting this is not adequate? or that you bought a mis treated bike and that is BETA's fault?

9. Replaced the front sprocket.

You had to replace the sprocket on a 5 year old bike? Deary, Deary me...

10. Cleaned up the chain....it was a real ****ty mess.

The chain on your used bike was dirty? Oh Noes!

13. Replaced the chain block.

14. Replace the treacle in the gearbox :wall:

The bike was bought unseen and you laugh about high maintenance items need replacing? This strikes me as unusual.

15. Bought and new carb inlet rubber. As the old one is cracking. But can

Wow!! This post is hilairious,,,Someone buy's an abused non mantienced bike and complains about having to replace parts?? so Beta's are junk

Someone post about giving up on removing an air box because of not having the knowings?? so Beta's are junk

Italians p****d me off, so Beta's are junk

I've been re'building bikes for 3 decades and will say;I have never owned and worked on a better bike than a Beta!

I love them to death,and will remain with Beta. Thought (briefly) about Scorpa,,but when I can call Ron Como and get my part's

shipped/recieved in a few day's ,,,,well that's just hunky dorry. :wall:

• Like 1

Hi bad fruit and Half a tire Righ,

The above was just an update (as a number of good hearted people have express real concern) not a further complaint.

I was just looking for some "jesty" replies to my questions.

So sorry to have got you out of bed. :wall:

Best of balance.

Neo