Beta

shaun

Like fantic 156 says, use antifreeze and distilled water mixed. I had an '03 Rev 3 that managed to corode thro' the outer clutch housing. At the time, I went on to use the pink organic anti-freeze mixed 50/50 with distilled water. Always read what it says on the instructions though.

I've used distilled water for years don't know who told me to or why, it's been to long. When ordering some parts off the British importers of Beta recently I checked with them about using distilled water and they confirmed distilled water mixed with anti-freeze is best. The worst thing to use is neat antifreeze as it doesn't dissipate the heat very well and I'm sure they said avoid using just water.

Hmmm.......I see distilled water, antifreeze mentioned but not Antiboil.

This is the usual mix for pre-mixed off the shelf brands coolants. They are usually glycol based organic based.

Then there is the synthetic versions.

I tried both versions, and still rotted 2x magnesium casings. The problem with electolysis is not a simple one.

The paint layer on a new casing does protect it long enough until a pinhole lets in the coolant to start erroding away the magnesium. I believe its not the coolant where the problem is, but happens with other bikes with magnesium covers/casings for water cooling systems. Its either the composition of the metal and needs a sacrificial anode or something to counter it.

All twin pipe Rev3 models will be affected, for '03 onwards, the earlier '02 was twin pipe also but had the heavier aluminium casing. This is one alternative.

The other alternative is to epoxy coat the inside of the waterpump housing. I will be doing this with a metal paste epoxy shortly. Other owners have used different products.

Sure pure demineralised water is very low in conductivity and should slow the electrolysis, but once contaminated will be of no futher use. Unless you can flush the radiator and barrel with this as well, its cheap to replace regularly. It just needs the other goodies in it to make it worth while (antifreeze/antiboil).

EDIT- did some googling and found out that zinc, aluminium and magnesium are the best sacrificial anodes. What is more sacrifical than magnesium alloy?????? Havent found that answer yet.

Good explanation of this I found is :

If two different metals are physically or electrically connected and immersed in electrolyte then some amount of current flows between the two metals. This current is supplied by one of the metals by emmiting metal ions to the conductive environment . This is known as galvanic corrosion which destroys base metals rapidly.

Magnesium (Mg) alloy anodes are having greater driving potential than zinc (Zn) or aluminium (Al). So that magnesium anodes are suitable for the protection of pipeline, tanks, condensers, water boxes, heatexchangers, ship hulls, boilers and marine structures from corrosion.

Edited by subanator