98/99 Montesa 315r Clutch Problems?

joeuk

Hello everyone.

I just recently bought a 98/99 montesa 315R. but previous to me buying the bike it had been standing for a year.

The clutch isnt dis-engaging fully so it is causing lots of drag and makes the bike jump when changing gears.

I was told this could be due to condensation on the plates making them stick or the incorrect oil in the gearbox which the plates will absorb causing them to expand.

I was advised to take the clutch to bits and clean the paper??? plates.

I was wondering if you could advise me on the best way to clean the plates. what are the plates made of I thought they were cork?

Thanks in advance

Joe

Hi Joe

Firstly 315's are notorious for dragging clutches especially when the engine is cold, however there are ways to improve it.

To begin with I would buy a new set of heavy duty clutch plates from Haven Trialsport ( i think they only cost me

i have the same bike and had the same problem. i did exactly what was said above, replaced the metal plates with after market ones, put in a good oil, and filed down all the grooves on the leading edge of the basket. i also would recommend bleeding the system WELL, and measuring to see if there is much slop between the push rod and the presure plate. it needs some clearance but not lots, you can add a thicker shim. make shure the presure plate is coming out evenly, if it isn't, change your springs. nice bike when sorted have fun. jer (don't over tork the presure plate)

• 2 weeks later...

I put in the Mitani package and there is no problems at all. I start when cold and put in gear and I don't lurch one bit. the feel is now the same as the 04 txxt pro clutches.

These clutches are the best I have ridden contact Lewisport and he will help you.

Thanks for the stuff Adrian!

Jason

Hi people,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I took all the clutch plates out and gave them a good clean, a few of the back ones were pretty well stuck together with gunky oil. I then put it back together and used PJ1 oil.

Ive got to say Wow, I have a clutch now it doesnt lurch when putting it into gear and there is absolutley no drag whatsoever. I know this may only be a temporary fix.

This has made the bike so much more ride-able now since I am just learning, I also fitted the domino slow action throttle which has tamed it down and made low speed control a lot easier. it seemed before I was overshooting turns and the bike would lurch forward even with the smallest throttle response.

Thanks again for your help people much appreciated.

(oh btw how much oil should I mix to a Litre of petrol Just not a 100% sure.)

Cheers

Joe