Cold Starting Problems With Dellorto Carb On

NAD1

Hi all.

I now have the Dellorto carb on and when the bike is running it is very very nice.

My biggest issue is that it WILL NOT start when cold.

On Sunday at the trial I was in, it probably took 20 kicks to get it running. Once it has ran (even for a few seconds) it starts on the button every time. But when it's cold - NOTHING!!

I went and started it at lunchtime today and same thing - NOTHING

Swapped plug over (new NGK BP5ES) and the one that came out was wet, put another one in and it started 5th kick.

It seems to me that there is excess fuel in the crank, I thought this last week so ran the bike dry before packing ot away however still not happening.

Has anyone else expereinced this at all with a Dellorto Carb??

I wanted rid off the Mikuni so that the bike would a) run nicer and :thumbup: start uphill/downhill etc etc but this is a pain.

Cheers

HI Nickday..

If you dont mind me asking..how much was the Dellorto, and where from??...Im thinking of getting one for my Beta, coz I just cant seem to get it running sweet with the Mikuni..I know its probably my lack of skill with carbs, but it would be nice to spend less time fettling and more time riding.

cheers

HI Nickday..

If you dont mind me asking..how much was the Dellorto, and where from??...Im thinking of getting one for my Beta, coz I just cant seem to get it running sweet with the Mikuni..I know its probably my lack of skill with carbs, but it would be nice to spend less time fettling and more time riding.

cheers

I got it 2nd hand from ebay, however you can buy them brand new from <mention of this company is not permitted on Trials Central> road & trials for

Hello

Try a choke jet size of 70-80.

Carefully clean the idle jet.

Do the airfilter maintenance.

Keep the petrol clean

.....and it will run superb

I think it

Nick, could be the wrong jet or jets in it, ralphs dellorto has been faultless for months now and he doesnt clean it out as much as the Mikuni. His starts easy from cold or hot and I am pretty sure he just drains the bowl every ride rather than blowing the carb out. He does use a Jitsie filter and seals the lid with tape to reduce the **** getting in. Hes not riding for a couple of weeks after sunday so I will see if I can borrow it and have a look for you inside re jet sizes, needle heights etc.

Nick, could be the wrong jet or jets in it, ralphs dellorto has been faultless for months now and he doesnt clean it out as much as the Mikuni. His starts easy from cold or hot and I am pretty sure he just drains the bowl every ride rather than blowing the carb out. He does use a Jitsie filter and seals the lid with tape to reduce the **** getting in. Hes not riding for a couple of weeks after sunday so I will see if I can borrow it and have a look for you inside re jet sizes, needle heights etc.

Cheers for this, really dont want to go back to the Mikuni now after I know how good the Dellorto is.

As I mentioned above I have a BP5RES plug in now with a S37 pilot jet. When I first put the carb on the S40 would not run 100%, , however this was with the standard spark plug in it.

Now I have a BP5RES would it be worth trying the S40 again and trying to fine tune again - could this be the differentiator???

Might have a look into a Jitsie air filter as well.........

Cheers nickday

I will certainly keep an eye out for second hand ones. I was pretty set on getting one after reading all Ralphs reports. Hopefully you can sort yours out, since he seems very happy with his

I love it (for small periods - the 7 sections it rode nicely for were great) and really want to sort it.

If not you can have mine...

Had to retire from trial after 1 lap on Sunday - first 7 sections ran sweet as a nut then 8,9,10 idle was cr@p. Prob could have finished as when revving the bike ran fine.....
My biggest issue is that it WILL NOT start when cold

Well, I think you have got dust in the idle jet. Once it

Hi Carl I'm pretty sure we got the culprit out from the idle jet. Spent about 45 minutes on Sunday afternoon - cleaning, blowing through, spraying the idle jet etc etc.

Started it - ran perfect.

Went to start today - nothing, looked at plug - very wet. Put different plug in and it fired up on 4-5 kick and ran spot on instantly.

Will remove, clean, air and oil the filter tomorrow though and have a thorough inspection of the actual air box to see if I can see anything.

Will have a look at the choke jet to see if I do have a 60 and order a 70 and 80 to see what happens.

Sorry am not sure whether it is a R9354 or R9359. How do I find out? Had Keihins on last couple of Gassers and never had a problem.