My First Trial Coming Up!

edgas250

Ive been riding a trials bike for about a month now, and i have dropped myself in at the deep end and entered myself into a novice trial at the end of this month,

so still got time to practise, with it being a novice trial what sort of obsticle would i expect in it?

Thanks

Edited by EDGAS250

novice trials are usually very easy. sometimes they're straight with no turns at all, I wouldn't expect any obstacles to be honest, if there are any it may be a small rock etc but nothing to worry about mate, and we've all had to start somewhere so there will be plenty of advice on hand!

Our C route would be classed as a Novice route.

You would expect to come accross easy drops with plenty of stopping space at the bottom, nice wide turns onto straight climbs. Any tighter turns would be on the dead flat and streams or mud slots would be straight.

If there is a small log or a rock to ride over, you would be given a straight approach with lots of room to get together after the obstacle.

The winner of our C route almost always finishes on no marks lost.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Edited by scorpa3

ill defo let you know how i get on, im looking foward to it! not nervous at all which i suppose is a good thing,

im confident af going over anything around a foot high, it any higher ill give it a damn good go!

thanks

Hey bud,

I did my first trial after 4 rides. It was great fun. I rode like a numpty.. completely forgot most of what i learned... but didnt finish last and never stopped grinning.

There were 2 sections i just couldnt do... both involved steep slippery slopes funnily enough... but i tried each time. If i felt i could't do it i could have just asked the marshall for a 5 and not attempted it - so id recommend the same if you face something the same.

I went back to the track to practise the sections i struggled with until i could do them. That helps no end with confidence.

One word of warning - dont thank the marshalls on your last lap WHILST RIDING... you tend to hit things you arent looking at and fall off over the handlebars :thumbup::(:)

Have fun!

Jza

Hey bud,

I did my first trial after 4 rides. It was great fun. I rode like a numpty.. completely forgot most of what i learned... but didnt finish last and never stopped grinning.

There were 2 sections i just couldnt do... both involved steep slippery slopes funnily enough... but i tried each time. If i felt i could't do it i could have just asked the marshall for a 5 and not attempted it - so id recommend the same if you face something the same.

I went back to the track to practise the sections i struggled with until i could do them. That helps no end with confidence.

One word of warning - dont thank the marshalls on your last lap WHILST RIDING... you tend to hit things you arent looking at and fall off over the handlebars :thumbup::lol::)

Have fun!

Jza

Ha! ill keep it in mind!

I actually got myself out on the bike on sat as it just didnt stop raining all day, which made me a little more determined to go out try hill climbs step ups in the wet.... it was a struggle, but i did make some slow progress,

i did actually try a stream crossing then as the front wheel went in it sunk down to the disk, :D

Edited by EDGAS250

• 2 weeks later...

Well its the big day tomorrow, just want to know lastly what the difference would be between novice and adult begining class?

not really sure which to enter in as i want to challenge myself but also dontreally want it to be to easy or hard for my ability,

what would be the difference?

Thanks

Well its the big day tomorrow, just want to know lastly what the difference would be between novice and adult begining class?

not really sure which to enter in as i want to challenge myself but also dontreally want it to be to easy or hard for my ability,

what would be the difference?

Thanks

A few words of encouragement...

I rode my first trial last week, so I have some recent experience of what you're about to do...

The trial I rode had a combined course, that had easy get outs from an otherwise difficult course. All riders followed the same route, but at the hardest parts there were alternatives for novices. Obviously you need to walk the section first to make sure you know where to go. In my case 90% of riders took the "easy" routes. This was a little disconcerting, as some of the riders were far more experienced than me, but competing on equal terms.....?

Anyway, best of luck, give every section a go, and don't be afraid to ask for help/advice...I have found everyone to be really friendly and helpful, (although getting advice from a 13 year old is a bit bizarre at my age,(39)), and don't forget...its meant to be fun, so if you fall off, or make a cu*t of yourself, laugh about it, and get back on...

Enjoy,

Nick

Well what a day!

I enjoyed every minute of it, thought all the observers/other riders where a good bunch, always on hand to give me some advice,

Was a 4 lap course, i only maganage 2 of them tho, due more to my fitness (lack of) from picking the bike up from the hill climb! and also as it was getting even more wet and muddy through the event i couldnt see my self improving any more,

Have alot to improve on, i just need to drum into my head to look up instead of looking at things thinking 'dont hit that' then next thing ive hit it!

also need to practise my hill climbs!

Cant wait for my next one!

It's a funny thing you hit what your looking at. A lot of the time if I'm looking at something it's easier to ride over than miss. Your at a good spot, the fun in this sport is learning the technics, most of us would trade with you.