First Trial On Sunday....

randyrat

Well, time has come I'm afraid......

Got meself a 315R and a helmet, and going to my first Trial as a competitor on Sunday.

Slightly nervous to say the least, so any words of wisdom would be most welcome.

I've given the bike a good servicing to, so there should be no snags there....its just my bottle that might let me down....

I think I've covered all the bases, but if theres anything obvious (to you) that I will defo need, let me know.

Do I need to bother with tools etc, or is it a case of Bike broken-time to retire?

What can I expect on a novice route? Any big rocks or anything?

I've got a couple of days practice between now and then, so what should I be concentrating on?

All help most welcome....

Nick...randyrat :D

I agree with billycraig, I am riding the novice route and one of the best investments is a water back pack like a little ruck sack filled with water. Hydropack I think they are called ?= Brilliant from Halfords, also get some bananas in you before and part way through, I find they help for energy. You will discover muscles etc you never knew you had. PS keep the Saturday night ale to a minimum, or if you are strong none at all. Good luck and let us know how you get on. :D

Hi Chaps,

thanks for the info...cant make the Lancs trial, sadly, but will try and spread my wings after I'm "broken in". Off to the Barrow and District at Broughton Mills on Sunday. :D

I guess from your comments that its an all day job, so no sneaking off for a butty etc? (Good job I have some lard reserves then!!)

Will defo get a backpack too.

As far as keeping off the ale the night before...... I will try to remain strong, grass hopper!

See you soon, and let you know how things go...

Nick..randyrat :thumbup:

Hi will see you there, its not a bad trial to start with and the lap isnt to long. There is a few river/beck sections but nothing that will kill you, take your time and watch as many riders before you as you can. Believe me it looks easier than it is, have fun and enjoy

Hmmmm...

interesting comment that...

"looks easier than it is"....

oh my god, what have I let myself in for?

MAYBE A FEW BEERS SATURDAY NIGHT MAY BE A GOOD IDEA AFTER ALL!!!

Ah well...in for a penny....

See you Sunday

Nick...randyrat

Rode my first trial aged 14 some 28 years ago and can still remember how nervous I was. Could probably of dabbed on a flat field due to nerves but once firsts few section completed its brilliant

I guess my point is expect to be nervous as hell but don't worry about it. Just get into the flow of it and try to relax and ENJOY it.

Don't be afraid to ask, even the better riders I am sure all would offer advice if asked.

Make sure tyre pressures are correct, makes it hard work getting grip with 20 psi in back tyre but I see it a lot with beginners. Make sure all levers, grips etc are in good nick and you can reach them. Make sure brakes work and you can reach back brake pedal. Make sure footrest ain't slopping down helping your feet to slide off. The above wont help you ride better but should hopefully stop you loosing any more marks than necessary. Treat every section at a time and don't worry about what you have just dropped, you can't change that. Just focus on the job in hand.

Hope you enjoy and welcome to the fold

Hi,

Went to my first trial 3 weeks ago and had the time of my life. I only bought the bike 2 weeks before the trial and had never been on a bike before so was absolutly shi**ing bricks about the trial. Everyone was really helpful though and gave me loads of advice. I gave up counting the number of times people said "youre new to this arnt you!!!!"

There was nothing that i couldnt have a go at and suprised myself on a few sections at what i could do, so dont worry about anything out of your depth. If there is something that you feel you cant do just tell the observer youll take a five and move on to the next section.

I went to the next trial i could as i enjoyed it so much but managed to break my front break lever off on the 3rd section of the day and was out for the competition. Really annoyed me as if i had a spare with me i could have changed it in 2 minutes and carryed on. I have just bought a set of spare levers for the bike so it wont happen again...i hope!!!!!! Might me good for you to do the same just incase!!!!!

Good luck anyway and i hope it all goes well.

Hi to all...

many thanks for all the encouragement, I'm certainly more at ease than I was a couple of days ago.

Will let you know how it goes on Sunday...I'm aiming for a clean round!!! HaHaHa

Nick

1.) Put a white dot on the left side of your handlebar ( e.g. clutch base) left=white...

2.) Walk sections start to finish and then finish to start

3.) Think about yourself being the backwheel of your bike ( sounds silly..though)

4.) You will go home with less than the maximum score

5.) Laugh!

make sure your front brake and clutch lever bracket's on the handlebar's are loosened off a touch,not to much that they twist round with just a touch. But just enough, if your lever's hit something nasty first the bracket should twist round and save any lever breakage and money.It work's 99% of the time but there's allway's that 1%.

Good luck with it Nick, let me know how it goes.

If it hasnt put you off i'll see you at the Lakes Grass Track trial on Bank holiday monday.

For a backpack with drinks bottle try here well worth

Edited by ScottT

Well...that was my first Trial...

Really enjoyed myself, although was a bit outfaced by some of the sections. Never managed the full four rounds of ten sections, and had to skip a few of the sections I came up against. No doubt my confidence, (and endurance) will grow as I progress. Cacked myself a couple of times, and had a couple of good spills; once down a bank into a pile of nettles,( - still stinging thanks!!!), and once when my bike decided to go up a rockface without me-(knew I should have hung on just a little bit longer!!!)

All in all, a really good day out, and plenty of encouragementand good advice from other club members.

Never been so knackered in my life....but looking forward to the next one...maybe I'll manage to complete three quarters of the Trial next time.

Good things...managed 1 clean section, and a (small) handful of threes, so thats a target to beat the next time. Also gave the Juniors a good laugh when I dunked my face in a minging bog right in front of them.......!!!

Many thanks to Barrow and District Club for a fine day out.

Nick

Nice one Nick :beer: glad you enjoyed it. Its well worth asking for as much advise as possible at an event, bike set up etc and even before an attempt at a section, watch a few go through before hand if you can, and see what line they take and where they open and close the throttle. To much throttle at the wrong time or any throttle at all in some cases is the difference between an easy ride through or a five and big getoff.

Its a great sport, very addictive and you can have a great laugh at the same time. Good luck for the next one and if you have the energy after a trial ride some of the sections over again to see if you can make them easier.