Beta 250/270

frontroomautos

I have noticed that the Rev 3 270 has a much lower compression ratio to that of the 250. Would this mean that it puts less stress on the crank bearings meaning it is more reliable ? or am i mistaken by thinking this? I have never owned a 2T trials bike. I have an old TLR but that is the sum of my experience as far as trials go. Do the Betas require a high level of maintainance. If its just the usual rebore from time to time, that i can deal with but i dont want to get involved in pulling cranks out and all that. Can anyone help me with this. I keep delaying my purchase as i really dont know what to part with my hard earned on, either 4T or 2T, im not biased i would like to try a 2T but what are the cost implications. I expect some cost but i dont have the place or facilities to carry out complicated work by myself. I am not that useless as a mechanic but its not something that i do often (engine splitting) and would not have the competencies of a pro. So any suggestions as ive been putting this purchase off for over a month now. Cheers

Personally, unless your made of money, I'd get the newest Rev 3 in the best shape I could.

The two stroke Beta will last an extremely long time. Trials bike just don't go through the

beating of an MX bike due to just putting around (low rpm's)most of the time. They will last for years with no

re bore for most people. Run it at 75:1 full synthetic, clean the air filter often, change the gear oil

every couple of events.

The new four strokes are great but I'd just as soon let others work out any bugs before I'd lay out

my cash.

you really need to ride both before you buy, trust me there is a big difference. buy on what it feels like to ride not on possible maintainance problems, besides that, other than early model electrics and the fact that is will lose more fuel than it burns they are very reliable, well i like mine anyway :beer:

As Brian says, go with the Beta, hardly hear of any major problems and seizing one up is pretty much always due to a wide open throttle after a big off and it takes longer than you think to nip it up. Even if it does happen its reasonably cheap and easy to sort out.

The one thing that puts me off the 4 strokes is if owt goes major wrong its going to cost mega bucks, saying that though I havent actually heard of one throwing a rod yet.

And as Paul has mentioned, make sure you ride sections first before anyone else on the Beta, next few riders will be slipping about behind you on the trail of p*** most Betas leave behind

Edited by Betarev3

As Brian says, go with the Beta, hardly hear of any major problems and seizing one up is pretty much always due to a wide open throttle after a big off and it takes longer than you think to nip it up. Even if it does happen its reasonably cheap and easy to sort out.

The one thing that puts me off the 4 strokes is if owt goes major wrong its going to cost mega bucks, saying that though I havent actually heard of one throwing a rod yet.

And as Paul has mentioned, make sure you ride sections first before anyone else on the Beta, next few riders will be slipping about behind you on the trail of p*** most Betas leave behind

[/quotI've heard people say they lose fuel from their carbs is it really that bad then? I would have thought Beta would felt an obligation to sort that out. Is it a problem they have always had and is it still present on the 07 models cheers all

I've heard people say they lose fuel from their carbs is it really that bad then? I would have thought Beta would felt an obligation to sort that out. Is it a problem they have always had and is it still present on the 07 models cheers all (sorry made a S*** up of that last post)

Pretty much every Beta does it, some worse than others though and some not at all. Mine was almost like the fuel pipe was disconnected but the carb mod which most dealers will do cures the leaking or lessons it abit. Carb mod is about

Edited by Betarev3

Beta seem to be a good bet then. i know all bikes have their quirks but it seems funny to me that Beta should allow such a significant flaw to become part of their bikes character.

i mean if a bike kept munching crank bearings a manufacturer would correct it major quick, ok the carb things not as drastic but its not something i would have thought a manufacturer would want to be synonymous with their product; like someone in conversation says to someone else-oh whats those bikes that leak fuel everywhere & someone instantly sais (by assossiation) oh thats a Beta...hmmmm. I'll look into it more but thanks for alerting me to the standard carb modification that should be done from new...cheers