Honda Tl125's : No Good For Trials ?

malcra

Nice write up, Thanks. Sounds like you are ready to trade in the tl125 for a proper twinshock. :beer:

ah, I have sold 2 olther TL's I had, and have 3 SWMs in the barn, so I am moving the right direction I guess

TL125's have their faults, to which my riding skills (or lack of) only exaggerate

How can you say such a cruel thing, I cut my trials teeth on one as a lad and it taught me a lot about trials riding i.e how to get up a big hill without a lot of power also a lot about bike control. I loved mine so much I have recently purchased another to restore nearly 20 years on mad or wot. Will probably put a 150cc kit on it seen as I weight a bit more than I did as a lad. :D:beer:

• Like 1

How can you say such a cruel thing, I cut my trials teeth on one as a lad and it taught me a lot about trials riding i.e how to get up a big hill without a lot of power also a lot about bike control. I loved mine so much I have recently purchased another to restore nearly 20 years on mad or wot. Will probably put a 150cc kit on it seen as I weight a bit more than I did as a lad. :moon::banana2:

This is a good point ! The worse the bike is , the more the rider has to compensate and use their skills. I have been riding my tlr200 a lot lately, and each time i go out i find myself improving. I hope to get a modern bike soon , and i know that riding an older bike will help being a better rider as you have to learn to ride using all that you've got, instead of relying on great suspension, motor and disc brakes.

• Like 1

The very first trial I ever did was on a borrowed TL125 in 1980. Back then there was just one route, adults in the morning and schoolboys in the afternoon. (yes, schoolboys and not youth, we didn't know what pc stood for in 1980. We still had blackboards at school and manhole covers in the road back then. :banana2: )

Looking back I suppose the TL was a bit limp, but I thought it was just the best bike I'd ever seen.

A TL125 won on the pre 78 expert route at the recent Aywaille two day international trial.

Godd rider = good result no matter what you ride.

My first trialer was a 1973 Tl 125. I loved that little bike and the fact that it was under powered mmade me work even harder on the skills. I picked up another one for my 15 year old son last fall and steal a ride on it now and then.

• Like 1

I have very fond memories of competing in vintage trials in the early 1990's on a 1973 TL 125.

My 125 had a fresh top end, 13 tooth countersprocket, Sammy pipe and chain tensioner. Nothing fancy there at all.

I did fine against the other bikes of the era. Only when I moved to the expert class, did I need more "instant power". I found that in the form of a RL-250 Suzuki. In the intermediate class, the little TL did just fine.

To me, the TL 125 is perfect for teaching a youngster how to ride trials.

I've got another 1973 in the garage right now waiting for my son to grow into it. Right now his TY-80 is getting the job done for him.

Bryan

• Like 1

I wouldnt bother, the overall completed cost in balance is not worth the result, but then its all personal really. I restored a TLR200 last year and the end total cost was horific, the bike looks and rides well for what it is but i could have had a 4RT for the money i spent (i regreted it about half way into the project but had to see it through at that point) Why bother is my attitude to restorations now; i just want to service and ride but im certainly not knocking those who restore, i have allot of admiration for the workmanship, patience and dedication to finnish with a beautiful classic (and a little TLR looks lovely when done)

the whole issue of "value for money" is a little irrelevant with a restoration project anyway, but it does tend to make you hang on them rather than just selling them through.

I am planning to give my TL125 a run at the North Hants trial at Crondall Woods on 30/May (next Wednesday afternoon/evening) as I work in Farnborough every so often. My mate Rog will also be wheeling his 1975 TL125 out for its (and his) first trial. If anyone else has a TL125 and is in the South East, maybe see you there (?). Its AMCA so no licence needed and the easy and middle routes are ideal for TL125's

Edited by malcra
  • Like 1

A TL125 transformed my riding & confidence.

I bought one new in 1975 from Gordon Farley (KPA 10P, where are you now) and had four class wins in four consecutive weeks, having been a very average rider up to that point.

The only problems I had were the triangular rear silencer dug into my ankle if I caught my foot on anything, and the lack of power. So, off to see Derek Cranfield at Len Savage mototcycles in North Camp, Farnborough to part-ex it for a new Ossa MAR, now feel the power...

Mick

• 3 weeks later...
I am planning to give my TL125 a run at the North Hants trial at Crondall Woods on 30/May (next Wednesday afternoon/evening) as I work in Farnborough every so often. If anyone else has a TL125 and is in the South East, maybe see you there (?).

Will you be doing any more of those evening do's? If so I'm planning to (finally) get to a few of them, hopefully starting the week after next, 27th I think it is. Hopefully I should be able to use my Dad's home built TL 'rep' - based on the remains of an old XL125 - the best bike for Crondall I've ever ridden! Turns on a sixpence better than anything I've ever tried! Hope to see you at the next one!

Pete.