Honda Tl125's : No Good For Trials ?

malcra

Pete,

rode this evening, with mates Roger and Ian on TL125s. It was dry so a lot easier going that a couple of weeks ago. May try to get there on the 27th, so look forward to meeting you then

• 1 year later...

putting motor back together,using a cb125 piston I've been told to clay the head and get ready for at least

105 octane. anyone have any experience with this? I thought it might make it a little snappier off the bottom.

The TL125 had many faults, but it was my first bike, got it new from Edgar Bros in Edinburgh. Had many many hours of fun on it. It was very economical, even with lowered gearing, and nice and quite, enabling me to go places where I shouldn't have been. Have never been on one since, mostly because I think it wouldn't live up to the rose tinted memories !

60t sprocket improved it off road, but made little difference on road !

Edited by b40rt

Nothing would make you think about a section more than a TL125.

-Since it can't turn your not going to be able to follow everybody else's line.

-Since it has no power you need to twist the throttle about 10 seconds before you attempt anything.

-Since it has no real suspension you have to be able to bend your knees more than anything your attempting to go over.

-Since it is heavy you won't be able to get it out of your transport when you get home from a long days event.

This is why this bike is a great learning tool.

Learn to pick a line

Learn to look ahead so you can anticipate your throttle

Learn to bend those knees because the bike wont do it for you

Learn to conserve energy.

I started out on one of these in 1984 and could barely touch the ground so i just decided not to. When I changed bikes I shot up two classes.

I have one of these engines as part of my project.

I say go for it and have fun.

--Biff

• Like 2

• 9 years later...

Hi All, I bought my first TL125 when they first came out.  Paid £299 to Bill Smith in Chester for it.  Tried to keep it as original as possible, but maybe ground the steering stops away, and fitted an 11 tooth gearbox sprocket.   it was Ok for all the types of sections where you could have ridden a push-bike around, but lacked any power for big hills or muddy sections.

Rode it from Chester to Snowdon, went up the Pyg Track, throwing the bike over a stile, and then back home again, all on one gallon of fuel.   When I smashed up the rear cush drive, It was finally Part Exchanged for a Bultaco 350, so I could try some of the Powwweeerrr Sections.

Recently bought a second TL125, but this one is not so original, as it has side panels and original exhaust missing.

Just my tuppence. Like b40 mine came from Edgar Bros in Edinburgh in Trail Trim.

Spoiled by dad as I was about 12 . We had a Bultaco which I struggled to start so the Honda was spot on.

Power wasn't much of an issue as I probably only weighed about 6 stone.

It also had brakes which the bultaco didn;t and a clutch and gearbox that was easy to use.

Happiest time of my life  riding the tl no one walked about the countryside in those days so I had a licence to roam.

My pal bought one recently and gave me a play I couldn't believe how unwieldy it was.

I often ride a Scorpa sy 200 f these days which kind of reminds me off it.

Edited by breagh
  • Like 1