Orange Ossa Question

trialsaddicted

Hi guys, lately i've bought my second orange OSSA. But i recognized that the petrol tank isn't connected with the seat than the "normal" TR80's but seperate. Does anybody know, how the seat is fixed, or even has a hole picture of the bike? Because the seat and several other parts are missing!

Greetz

Edited by trialsaddicted

Tr80's whether 250's or 350's all had the same tank/seat design. I have a couple of yellows and an orange and they all have the same seat with a metal "hook" that fits in and under the tank held down at the rear with two bolts that thread into the frame.

Here are a couple of pics.

ossa1tx0.jpg

ossa2qp5.jpg

Edited by Spud Plark

The alloy tank was probably the UK version due to the ban on fibreglass tanks on the road back in early 70s - not sure how long that ban was in force for, maybe even still applies today. Most of the Spanish bikes had a replacement alloy tank although some used a fibreglass cover styled like the original over the top, such as Cota 247. I'm pretty sure though that there are seperate fibreglass tank/seat units too on Grippers as I've seen fibreglass tanks on their own - unless someone has seperated it themselves of course.

Whichever the Gripper was fitted with though, one piece or two-piece, the seat fixing should be the same on either.

That's a lovely looking Gripper SpudPlark

I also have that alloy tank. It's from Acerbis. The measures are the same as the fibreglass one, but the sidepanels are seperate!

I took a pic of my tank.

dsc000051zg4.th.jpg

And i found a pic which shows the complete version.

img0145gc8.th.jpg

Now i know how the seat/tank is fixed, but the sidepanels are still missing!

Do you know where i can get such sidepanels?

The Gripper on ebay is a normal Gripper with a slimmed down alloy tank as I know the previous owner who had it done. Forks are telescos which some Grippers were fitted with instead of marzocchis, so they're a standard Ossa fitment.

Same seller also has a MAR which has several 'special features' such as a well engineered exhaust - looks like standard front pipe and middle box with an aftermarket tailpipe from a trail bike or such like, if it has a special system why not show it. Works side panels?? Twin spark ignition - no idea what that is, I'm guessing someone has put a spare plug where the decompressor is fitted so that it has two plugs, unless it really has got one. The head may be special though as it is on back to front.... (ok, joke - it doesn't actually matter on an Ossa as it will go on either way - just looks strange)

The bikes actually look very tidy examples and in the case of the Gripper has had an engine rebuild by the previous owner. Just not sure about some of the seller's claims on several of the 'selling points'

Getting back to the Gripper tank issues, there are plenty of alloy tank/seperate sidepanel models here in the UK as well as one-piece fibrelass models. I'd guess the parts list only shows the one-piece units as that is how they left the factory and were converted to alloy when they came to the UK. I remember being up at Peter Quinn's place about 15 years ago and seeing quite a few one-piece units hanging up and assumed they were some of the units taken off bikes that were fitted with the alloy versions - wonder where they have all gone now.

The tank in the picture in the previous post is definitely a plastic (or whatever) tank and you can see the petrol level through it.

For a replacement side panel unit, try Mainly Spanish Motorcycles as he used to have some and may have some left. Use google to find his website/contact details. Or try Wakefield Offroad in the UK 0044 1924 217124 as they have some used parts for the Gripper.

Getting back to the Gripper tank issues, there are plenty of alloy tank/seperate sidepanel models here in the UK as well as one-piece fibrelass models. I'd guess the parts list only shows the one-piece units as that is how they left the factory and were converted to alloy when they came to the UK. I remember being up at Peter Quinn's place about 15 years ago and seeing quite a few one-piece units hanging up and assumed they were some of the units taken off bikes that were fitted with the alloy versions - wonder where they have all gone now.

They ran a Classic Off Road show at Stoneleigh a few years back and there was a guy selling loads of Ossa bits....could have been Peter Quinn or if not someone that had bought out his stock of Ossa spares. They had loads of new or nearly new Orange Gripper seat and tank combos....I bought one for my brothers bike for

The tank in the picture in the previous post is definitely a plastic (or whatever) tank and you can see the petrol level through it.

Yes the tank is definately a plastic one!

Thank you for your quick answers! I'll try to get some sidepanels from the mentioned dealers. But i think I'll write an e-mail! A phone call is no good idea, because my English knowledge isn't the best! :banana2:

• 11 months later...

You don't say what problem you have but as standard the bike should have an Amal MK2 carburettor (26 or 27mm, can't remember)

The jets would be something like Pilot jet - 20, Needle jet - 106, Main jet - 160, Throttle Slide no.3. I don't know where you can find a specification sheet for the Gripper but hopefully someone who owns one may be able to confirm the jet sizes for you.

• 2 weeks later...

actually the problem I have is that it turns off during running and it is impossible to restart the engine. A friend is having a look at it and asked me for a technical data sheet if possible. Is there anything You suggest to check?

• 2 years later...

spent my teenage years tripping over hundereds of ossa 1 piece tank /side panel units that we couldnt give away and now you want one :rolleyes:

When Peter Quinn bought out the remaining stock of ossa parts fron Cliff or Roger Holden there were loads of different tanks which had been made included in the parts.

I think from the factory they had the one peice unit, and as woody and others have said in the 70's and early 80s UK bikes had to have alloy tanks so they were made seperately for the UK. There were also a number of smaller tank units made by Quinns to make the bike look a little smaller as in club trials you never had to fill up during the event. All of the tanks and remaining parts were sold to mainly spanish mc/s I think and thats the guy who was probably selling them at Stoneleigh.

Cheers

Edited by Baldilocks