Long Range Gas Gas

arieltt

Hi Tony,

Have a look at this GG forum, "cooling system capacity" by uhoh7, some interesting pics.

There is a Hebo front number plate/fuel tank that holds 1 litre. Anything bigger, you would probably have to make one up. A local aluminium welding company may do this for you (at a cost!)

Bye, PeterB.

shoppictures021.jpg

shoppictures026.jpg

shoppictures028.jpg

shoppictures029-1.jpg

shoppictures034.jpg

shoppictures033.jpg

shoppictures032.jpg

contact mrsalvagemc@earthlink.net

my setup below carries 4.5 litres, the one I show above which has just become available holds 8 litres. My seat is not too usefull but the one above looks like you could use it.

P1000338.jpg

to get this setup contact:

Herv

Also, check out this long range tank at Lewisport:

http://www.lewisportusa.com/gas_tanks.htm

----------------------

Uhoh - How did you get that seat!! I've tried contacting Herve Michal before, and he said "Can't sell to the USA". This was some time ago - have they changed their tune? I'd love to get ahold of one of those! Any info. you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

"to get this setup contact:

Herv

Also, check out this long range tank at Lewisport:

http://www.lewisportusa.com/gas_tanks.htm

----------------------

Uhoh - How did you get that seat!! I've tried contacting Herve Michal before, and he said "Can't sell to the USA". This was some time ago - have they changed their tune? I'd love to get ahold of one of those! Any info. you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

"to get this setup contact:

Herv

Or you could just get a trail bike instead of using a trials bike to ride trails

You mean like this?

danskin015-1.jpg

My "trail" bike. The purpose built trail bikes like the CRX, WR, etc are all fat, underpowered and heavy. This KTM is 207 ready for fuel, about 5 lbs lighter than the lightest MX 250F. I added 9oz to the flywheel and had the suspension worked over. It's still too big and heavy.

On technical trails there is no comparison.

Another issue is dealing with spring trails with logs down or snow patches. The trials bike can get around with little or no damage. Even turning around can be a major deal here: small trail on a steep side-hill.

And of course whatever you get for a "trail bike" you still have fuel issues. Anything over 65 miles and you will need a tank for it too. I am waiting now on a 3 gal for the KTM.

Edited by uhoh7

The seat is mostly decorative. Problem is when you sit there your entire fat buttom is resting on four bolts and the plastc airbox/fender.

So is the function pretty much the same as without the "seat", where the fender flexes when you sit on it? Or does the base of this seat add some re-inforcement? I don't need a full-length seat, as much as something to keep my back-end from sliding down when I sit - and it looks like this configuration would help. But if the rear fender still sags when I sit there, or if the angle is so steep that you still slide down off of it, I'll work on some other idea...

I realize/assume that this seat would only be useful to "take a break" on smooth straight sections, right?

...or I suppose I could spend more time in the gym :(

BTW - regarding

On technical trails there is no comparison.

...you are so right! The only thing I have seen that could come close to a trials bike is this "hybrid" - have you seen it?? -

http://www.scorpa.fr/openswf.php?id=152

Looks interesting!

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

For info I e-mailed Mr Salvage MCs in Montana about the 8 litre system. They quoted US $550 for the tank and about a 4 week delivery time. The tanks are made to order and are aimed more towards increasing fuel capacity than providing a comfy seat.

• 4 years later...

I've just got to dig this up from the grave to say BRAVO, well done. I'll be building a similar style tank and a bigger seat. I completely understand they types of trails you ride and as much fun as that KTM has got to be, there are several trails I ride that I would much rather have the gas gas.

Edited by sixstringsteve

Steve,

I've done a bit of work on this, and thought I'd offer my opinions - though everyone has to find out what works for them.

(1) The idea of a "sit down" trials bike is great in theory - but not necessarily in practice. Yes, it's nice to sit and rest your legs at times - but adding a big seat and trying to ride it like a "trail" bike doesn't really work. The beauty of the trials bike is in its balance and traction, it's maneuverability. A large seat (I fitted one off my KDX just for fun) transforms the GG into an underpowered, less responsive machine.

(2) For a seat, I'd be thinking of something like the "Buttrest." Here you have a lightweight option that can give you opportunity to rest on straightaways.

Currently I'm running a seat from mini-motocross bike, that fills the section between the tank and rear fender. (http://compare.ebay.com/like/270968743649?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar) The problem with using a seat of this kind is that a trials bike is not layed out with enough "cockpit" space - the distance between the top of the seat and pegs is short. If you try to ride the bike with a seat that puts your body directly above the pegs, your legs will be cramped and put into an unnatural position no matter how high you make the seat. My toes point toward the ground when riding in this position.

The Buttrest alternative allows you to get your rear end back far enough so that your legs are not so cramped.

http://www.buttrest.co.uk/

(3) Regarding fuel - First, make sure that you actually need more fuel capacity! You may be one of those "long-ride" guys, but I find that I can go for an hour or more, and usually loop back to the truck at some point anyway.

While a large tank is cool, I've also read of guys that have great success with carrying MSR fuel bottles in a backpack.

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-MSRFUELBOTT-Fuel-Bottle/dp/B002L1413S/ref=acc_glance_sg_ai_ps_t_4

Just more ideas. Have fun building!

Jeff

Acerbis makes 2 sizes of tanks that munt on the upper part of your forks. One is about 3 liters, the other about 6 liters. They are designed to use either a solid cap or a siphon tube to connect to your vent line. I don't use mine often so I didn't bother with the siphon hose. By the time the original tank is low, I need a rest anyway, so I just take it of the forks and pour into the main tank. Lists for about $100. Usually there are some listed on eBay.

• 2 weeks later...

I've reworked mine just a bit.

I was keeping the headlight since I like to have one, but of course it only works with the motor running, and I may be coasting to save fuel on a long downhill.

Since I don't ride fast in the dark, I just put a good MB headlight on the bars, and then added a number plate gas tank--around 1 litre. With the large tank shown above I can doe most rides no problem, however major explorations require more. Then I resort to the MSR bottles. I feel a lighter pack is much nicer and safer also if I come off--for ligiments etc.

Right now I'm back to the old light blue oil and trying to get away with just o-ring replacement.

I had my cylinder recoated and matched to a new piston about 16 months ago--maybe two years. Took the head off yesterday it looked still very smooth and clean :)

a few more pics:

5781318671_ac09d817a9_b.jpg

5790258807_ab7f89e53e_b.jpg

5790815480_5e550dfb91_b.jpg

5827427877_25805dc9a3_b.jpg

Edited by uhoh7
  • Like 1

Very nice! We are going up Orok, a big hill just north of the Tz. border, on Saturday and I have 2 Trangia 1 litre fuel bottles in my backpack. Otherwise allowing for 1 litre per hour so assume that we will be completely knackered after 4 hours trying to summit an as yet unclimbed mountain (as on proper enduro bikes one can only get 3/4 of the way up)..

• 1 month later...