Suspension Knock

dougie pumpkin

Over my last 2 outings, i have notice a knocking sound from the front suspension, its as if there is some play somewhere but i can not find it. Everything seems tight. It does not do it all the time probably noticed it 10 times in my last trial..Its only a few months old, and i only get out on it every couple of weeks so its not as if it gets hammered. Its not done anything big , i am just a clubman rider.. Any Suggestions what it is ??

I had this on my 07 and a friend had it on his 06. Every time you brake hard or the front forks compressed a lot you would get a clonk noise. The head bearings had come loose. Once they had been nipped up they have so far been fine. They seem to work loose from new and then are fine.

if it does turn out to be the head bearings , remove them and give them a good greasing, put plenty down the head stock as well before replacing the top one, they seem to come with very little grease on then from the factory. did mine after 2 months, havent had to touch them again. regards. paul.

Have a quick look to make sure the damping rod has not come undone? mine was'nt attached from new at all and would top out alot even on easy stuff and made a knocking noise, made for some interesting rides up steps as well for the first two weeks :thumbup:

There will be a small amount of play, unlike a wheel bearing. The rollers should be shiny when you have cleaned it up, any dullness or pitting indicates wear.

When my bike was 6 months old the steering became notchy, only noticeable when the bike was on a stand with the front wheel off the ground and bars rotated either way. When I investigated, the top bearing appeared quite dry and worn, rollers appeared dulled and there was quite a bit of movement, so much so that when I cleaned it in petrol it completely fell apart into its constituent parts, outer cage, rollers and inner race! I replaced it with a shiny new one with plenty of quality waterproof grease and the steering was back to silky smooth.

Be careful when you re-assemble it as it is easy to over-tighten the whole thing. The flat round ring with the four cut-outs only needs to be finger tight at first, as when you tighten the large top nut, everything tightens up nicely. Take your time, if at first there is still some movement when you re-assemble, slacken the lock nut and tighten the flat ring with the cut outs a bit more, then re do the lock nut and check again until any lateral movement is removed.

As was mentioned by someone else, they don't seem to be packed with grease too well from new, would recommend anyone with a Beta to strip it down sooner rather than later and check, easy to do and for peace of mind is well worth half an hours tinkering.

Let us know how you get on.

Stop messing about pumpkin get it up to mexican petes house of spanners and grinders !!!!!! JOB SORTED :thumbup: discovered a simular knocking on mine at section 7 last sunday which had gone by 8. yep it was my knees :D

Stop messing about pumpkin get it up to mexican petes house of spanners and grinders !!!!!! JOB SORTED :thumbup: discovered a simular knocking on mine at section 7 last sunday which had gone by 8. yep it was my knees :D

Thanks To the Mexican, from the house of spanners, who kindly removed the tightest bottom bearing in the WORLD EVER !! I have now re assembeld and done or should i say attempted a trial, and the knocking has gone, there is something still not quite right but i can,t put my finger on it, I will get back on that later...

Thansk to ALL , for there advice :D

YOUR WELCOME :thumbup::thumbup:

EXCEPT Leggins. The man who is at the top of a section and can not start his bike for the life in him and looks worried, because he is thinking how the f*** am i going to get my bike back to the car from way up here :o

Turn the tap to reserve mate :thumbup: Guess what started 1st kick :wall:

EXCEPT Leggins. The man who is at the top of a section and can not start his bike for the life in him and looks worried, because he is thinking how the f*** am i going to get my bike back to the car from way up here :o

ok smart rse how was i to know it was a lack of petrol i mean i filled up 3 trials ago should have been ok . have you been syphoning :o

ok smart rse how was i to know it was a lack of petrol i mean i filled up 3 trials ago should have been ok . have you been syphoning :o

Why do you hink i carry a 20 ltr jerry can, never bought fuel in 4 years :o