Techno Clutch Fluid & Wiring

brucey

Still having problems with my Son's 97 Techno.

I put Comma 75/90 semi synthetic gear oil in the transmission/clutch. With the result that the clutch drags worse than ever! Can I put Automatic transmission fluid in (or something else available from my local motor factor)?

Also the bike is really hard to start and stalls when hot. Seems to be tied up with when the fan is running. I rewired the stop switch and fan when I removed the lights and lighting loom. The circuit diagram in the manual doesn't seem to match the wiring on the bike! I'm getting a bit desperate now as I can't see that wiring the little block with 1 yellow wire comming from it (I assume this is the voltage regulator) in paralell with the fan is helping the problem. Surely I can't be the only person that's removed the lights and fitted an aftermarket kill switch. Can anyone look at their bike and tell me which wire (including colour) goes where.

Any help would be appreciated as I seem to have made a very nice bike unridable. My Son did his first trial (Folkestone Club) last weekend but would have enjoyed it more if the bike had run better.

Any help appreciated!

Bruce.

Edited by brucey

Brucey, sorry to hear you're still having trouble with the Techno.

I can't really add anything re the wiring

but for the clutch, I did quite a bit to unravel why mine dragged and have virtually cured it.

- I cleaned up the plates : most would say put in new plates but I just deglazed them (light rub with fine wet-n-dry

- I deburred the 'wings' of the clutch basket : the teeth on the pates cut groves in the basket which stop the plates moving freely. I filed these out a little. Be careful, if you file too much you'll get nose/chatter.

- I built it up dry : to check there's movement and that it worked fine without the engine running

- I used PJ1 UltraLight Gear oil

Now, the clutch drags when I first start the bike .... but ....

I let the bike warm up for a minute, I hold the clutch in, knock it into gear (and the bike instantly runs off), I wind it up the gears to top and back down, still with the clutch held in.

Usually (after approx 30 secs) the clutch frees off before I get back to bottom.

And is fine from there on.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Ruffrider, I'll strip the clutch and fill with lighter oil. As you also have a 97 Techno, is there any chance you could tell me what colour and how many wires are connected to the fan circuit?

Thanks,

Bruce.

regarding the wiring, try the search function in the main beta section.I posted an attachment of a sketch of my wiring some time ago that may help but I cant rember the question it was posted under..

I just spent a lot of time understanding the wiring on my 1999 Techno. Mine came without the lights, and some modified wiring. There are 2 yellow wires coming off the stator, one goes to ground the other goes to the fan. Their is a voltage regulator installed in the fan wiring, then from the regulator there is a rectifier (converts to DC). Their is also a black wire from the stator harness, this is for the kill switch. It is the same wire that goes into the CDI. Wire the kill to this and the other end to ground. These wires are the only wires that do not go into the connector to the CDI.

My bike doesn't have the original wiring for the lights at all so I can really answer questions on that other than what is contained in the wiring diagram.

Hiya Bruce,

Managed to get to my Techno over the weekend.

Had a quick look and it appears to be wired as per the manual ......

Blue from rectifier (+ve) to thermostat

Black/Blue from thermostat to fan

Black from fan to rectifier (-ve)

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys, especially RoughRider for taking the trouble to pull his bike apart for a coplete stranger!

I'll check it over the weekend. If I can't find anything wrong I'll take it to Steven's Trials to let them take a look. Life is too short!

Bruce.

• 4 years later...

Cheers Ruffrider, I'll strip the clutch and fill with lighter oil. As you also have a 97 Techno, is there any chance you could tell me what colour and how many wires are connected to the fan circuit?

Thanks,

Bruce. techno wiring diagram if you send me an email to shadowfax55_915@hotmail.com i can send you a wiring diagram and workshop manual it is in english and italian diagram is in Italian so my used my smart phone dictionary to translate into English( for the colouring of the wires ), and it worked for me cheers Frenchie