Fork Seal Help.

gasgasssser

I ordered new fork seals for my 04 and they were the same.

I'm measuring the old ones here, which I did chew up a bit getting out, but here goes:

Internal diameter 38mm

External Diameter 50mm

Height 8mm

Then the 2mm flexible lip on the inside - that doesn't make much sense that bit eh, but you'll probably know what I mean looking at it :-)

What do people use to get the tops off? Is there a special tool for the 'internal socket' (more of my techno babble wizardry eh?)

I set about making one then gave up and almost embarrassed to say got them off in the vice soft jaws - I've not got the tools to make one it seems B)

See - not me - it's the tools :lol: Honest :D

If I understand correctly you are refering to the tops of the forks. The cap looks like it has a HUGE allen head cap. I took a spark plug socket (can't remember the size) and the top of the socket is shaped for use with a wrench. This part fit into the allen part of the cap. I cut off the top part of the socket with a dremel moto tool. Then I could use a 3/8 drive ratchet to operate my new tool and remove the caps.

When I read this it sounds confusing and very redneck at the same time. But it works real nice.

Thanks for The seal sizes Bikespace B) .

Regarding getting the tops of,sherco actually recomends using a spark plug socket for this.

You can get step by step info for changing the fork seals from the sherco website.

I have been trying to source fork seals and dust seals from other places other than MRS.I`ve managed to source some seals,but not dust seals.Anybody know of a place to get these from?? :lol:

The Beta parts should be similar if not the same. Both Paioli :lol:

I have heard the seals are less expensive through Beta, although I run them neoprene booties and have not had to change any seals in years now! Knock on wood! B)

Edited by copemech

Yea, they seem to work fine, no complaints. Give a bit of protection to the tube as well. Never really been big on the full length fork guards in CF, since they severely inhibit the prime areas for anyone that might be helping catch the bike.

I used to get the ones from DELAY, but could not obtain them last time I bought.

They seal tight as a ducks bottom with a zippie top and bottom, full length so nothing gets in.

Couple years ago, tried some of the 1/2 length ones from Seal Savers(through Lewisport). They just ride loosly on the shaft at the top end, and the instructions will tell you to fold down the tops when cleaning to remove any dirt. Never really found any.

With or without these things, I usually try to put a couple drops of the light fork oil between the dust wiper and the seal to prevent corrosion.

:lol: