Freak Accident Thanks To Those That Helped

stump magnet

just want to tell you all the story of what happened to me tuesday night whilst practicing on my 06 sherco in suffolk.

ever gone over the bars? i have many times but what happened this week must make me the unluckiest bugger on the plannet.

i had been practicing all evening and was just about to make the decision to go home when i thought i would have one last go on a pile of wooden cable reals, the last real is laying on its side and you have to hop off with the front wheel up, this i did two or three times, but on the last time i didnt lift the front enough and over the bars i went.

what happened next was freakish! the bike was balancing on its handlebars still ticking over with the backwheel high in the air i was just getting up to my knees, slowly the bike rotated about the stearing stem and the back wheel came down towards my head still turning!

the rear tyre grabbed my face and pulled my entire head all the way round till my neck was jammed against the red hot silencer and my face was squashed into the rear tyre to such an extent that i couldnt see breath or scream! all i knew was that the pain was incredible and so was the panic.

luckily others were there who quickly got the bike into neutral and reversed the wheel and got me out and then got me to hospital.

this post is to thank those blokes personaly as without them i would not have been able to have seen my 3 week old son grow up and ride his first trials bike.

so firstly thanks to James Newstead and Dave Cordle who got me out of the bike, (i hope you didnt burn your hands on the pipe Dave as i was told you were trying to get my neck away from the silencer) secondly thanks to James Williams who imediatly bundled me into his van and whisked me strait to hospital and thirdly thanks to Kevin Hood my riding and work buddy who took my van and bike home to look after and called my wife at the time of the accident and then came to the hospital to see how i was, also thanks to anyone one else who helped in anyway sorry if i dont know how i was a bit out of it also thanks to those that rang to see how i am.

also sorry to any one who felt sick when they saw my smashed nose laying across my face.

my injuries were, smashed nose, 3/4" gash from right tear duct to bridge of nose (5 stiches) face abrasions caused by the tyre 1st degree burns to the back of my head along with branding of the weld seam of the silencer into the skin.

thank god i had my helmet on! heres a picy of how i am today and thanks again to everyone

ouch.jpg

All those people trying to get you out, and not one of them thinks to pick up a camera? :rolleyes:

Lucky chap stump magnet, looks like you'll get away with it nicely.

Most awkward one I'd seen up until now is the left leg stuck down between the swinging arm and the wheel. Had to take spindle out and cut through most of the spokes to get him out. Were thinking about cutting through swinging arm at one point. Luckily it was a 12-13 year old lad you who had a bit of flexibility in his bones.

I think this one tops it Stump Magnet :rolleyes:

thanks everyone for your replies have just got back from hospital they are going to operate on me shnoze tuesday to make me pretty again!

aint put me off at all as im leading the eastern centre inter championship so gotta go for it eh! wanna get to expert status before i retire :rolleyes: will probably be a bit wobly at first though, plus gives me an excuse to get a new lid :rolleyes:

Get a 4RT, and you won't have same problem again. If engine doesn't cut out quick enough automagically, it'll cough and splutter as soon as your head gets near to being pulled round.

Don't get a Gasser, they'll never find neutral, or a Beta, it'll p*ss fuel all over you to add insult to injury.

Anyone I haven't upset? :rolleyes: Only joking chaps, no need to flame me - I would consider buying each one of them (note I don't joke about Scorpas) :rolleyes:

Get a 4RT, and you won't have same problem again. If engine doesn't cut out quick enough automagically, it'll cough and splutter as soon as your head gets near to being pulled round.

Don't get a Gasser, they'll never find neutral, or a Beta, it'll p*ss fuel all over you to add insult to injury.

Anyone I haven't upset? :rolleyes:

Nice post -Made me chuckle

Hi Glen its Adam, so glad to hear that your ok man, was there helping you too on tuesday night (was me holding in the clutch so we could free your head), Injuries look nasty but glad to see your up and about mate. Hope to see you around soon, we need guys like you in the centre!!!! :rolleyes:

P.S

Will be riding at Ofton next month hope to see you there!!!

Edited by KICKSTART101

Hope you get better as soon as possible Stump Magnet, as you said a very rare off and we may never hear of anything like it again for years or ever. Dont let it put you off though in anyway, Barry did well after his accident and is still doing stuff he shouldnt, good luck with the Chamionship and Expert status this year.

As people have said, this highlights why you should never ride unless you are with somebody and wear a helmet, could have been alot worse and well done to the lads who acted as they did